Share on Facebook

Thread: Practising Self Restraint

Practising Self Restraint

Western Tibetan Buddhist monk Karma Yeshe Rabgye discusses how to practice self restraint by observing the eight precepts for a day:

http://buddhismguide.org/how-to-prac...elf-restraint/

Any comments about the article?

Precepts Cited:

Refrain from killing:

Not sure anyone can practice Buddhism without this one. Prefer " Cause no harm to sentient beings. "

Refrain from stealing

The precept to which I have committed is "Take not that, which has not been freely given."

Refrain from wrong speech

This precept is in a very acceptable form. Harder to do than to say in my experience.

Refrain from sexual misconduct

Sexual misconduct requires detailed definitions in my experience.

Refrain from intoxicants and illegal drugs

Excellent format, but needs detailed definitions.

Refrain from eating at the wrong time

Very good precept, but should include not only the time, but place, and with whom to be of maximum benefit in my experience.

Refrain from any type of entertainment and from beautifying yourself

What do you do if you are born naturally beautiful? Although time and aging should eventually and inevitably put us all in compliance with this precept.

Refrain from sleeping on a luxurious bed

I would just like a bed that doesn't wreck my back. A mat on the floor seems to work well for me, or a nice firm mattress thrown on the floor. My experience is that luxurious beds are not all that comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post

What do you do if you are born naturally beautiful? Although time and aging should eventually and inevitably put us all in compliance with this precept.
    I think its worth noting that Karma Yeshe Rabgye is talking about observing the eight precepts for just one day occasionally, in order to experience the practice of self restraint.

He also says for the second part of the seventh precept:

The second part covers not wearing makeup, jewellery and perfumes. This is to stop any form of vanity and conceitedness from arising. It also takes you back to basics. It doesn’t matter what your hair looks like or if your clothes are nicely ironed. What matters is that you stay focused on your practice and train yourself in self-restraint.

Apart from Ron, has anyone else tried practising the eight precepts?

Forums Member
    I found being on retreat is a good chance to do this. The beds weren't that good.

I have not committed to the eight precepts, just the first four. My preceptor gave me the option not to take the fifth, since I could not honestly refrain from all intoxicants. He said it was better to not take it than to break it later. I keep it to the extent that you will never find me incapacitated, or even close to it, but I do occasionally have a glass of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post

The precept is not to avoid beauty. It is to avoid trying to make yourself appear more beautiful than you naturally are. A person who is naturally beautiful without embellishments is in compliance with it, and a person who tries hard to appear beautiful yet fails is not in compliance with it. It is not the eventual result that is to be avoided, but the process.

Full disclosure: this is a precept that I do not attempt to comply with.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 6:44 PM Sat, 8:44 PM Sun, 2:44 AM Sun, 8:14 AM Sun, 10:44 AM Sun, 1:44 PM