Thread: The Heart Sutra - Ego

Forums Member

The Heart Sutra - Ego

I am currently reading the Heart Sutra by Osho. He goes on about the 7 doors of the ego and deconstructing them to achieve a state of nothingness. I have an ego the size of a planet, particularly when I'm manic (I have a bipolar diagnosis). Nevertheless I've made a start, facing up to my fears and desires, writing them down and burning them.

My question is how will I know if and when something changes?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The Heart Sutra is a Mahayana teaching ... and Osho wasn't a Buddhist teacher, he was the leader of the controversial Rajneesh movement in India and the USA in the 1970's and 80's.

Your question has been moved from our Discovering Buddha's Teachings forum (i.e. the early teachings of the historical Buddha in the Pali Canon, mentioned in the pinned guidelines ) to our Mahayana forum.

IF you're interested in the Heart Sutra, perhaps I could recommend "Essence of the Heart Sutra" by the Dalai Lama.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/08617128...927&th=1&psc=1

Another book which you might find helpful is "An Introduction To Buddhism - Teachings, History and Practices" (second edition) by Peter Harvey.

Here's the PDF:

https://toleratedindividuality.files...-practices.pdf

Best wishes,

Aloka

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I cannot comment on Osho's writings. The Heart Sutra is a Mahayana Buddhist text. You may be reading the original text or reading Osho's commentary on it.

You really need to make a fresh start on this. Osho's teachings are not relevant to Buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by markridler View Post
    . . . the 7 doors of the ego and deconstructing them to achieve a state of nothingness.
    "Ego" was a term that was used by Freud, not by the Buddha, nor did the Buddha promote "a state of nothingness".

Your question is: how will you know when something changes, and by "something" I take you to mean yourself.

I suggest that you will be the only one who will know. It sounds to me as though you are in a hurry to change something within yourself. I don't think there is any 'quick fix' when it comes to your perceptions.

Following Buddhism is a personal choice. Buddhism does not promise to offer a solution to all of life's problems. Rather, it is a way to understand and see clearly the problems and the suffering they cause.

If you would like to make a fresh start, the links offered in Aloka's post #2 will be helpful, and the sticky topics at the start of the Discovering Buddha's Teachings forum are well worth looking into.

I hope that helps.

Woodscooter.

Forums Member
    Hi Aloka,

Thanks for your feedback.

I had no idea The Heart Sutra was a Mahayana text so apologies for that.

Yes I would be interested in the Dalai Lama's version. I will read that next.

I will also read the PDF.

Best wishes,

Mark

Forums Member
    Hi Woodscooter,

Thanks for your insights. I had no idea "Ego" was a Freud term.

Yes I am looking to change something and there's no reason why it can't be done quickly. I had a course of Behavioural Cognitive Therapy when I was staying courtesy of the NHS and you can change thoughts instantly with a knock-on effect on perceptions etc.

I'm sorry to hear that Osho is not included in Buddhism. It seems this is definitely "Buddhism WITH Boundaries".

Kind Regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markridler View Post

I'm sorry to hear that Osho is not included in Buddhism. It seems this is definitely "Buddhism WITH Boundaries".

Hi Mark,

Rajneesh/Osho (who died in 1990) wasn't a Buddhist and he didn't represent Buddhism. Perhaps you should check out some of the information about that particular "guru", including the sex cult with his followers, his large collection of Rolls Royce cars, and of course this:

1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack

Several incidents leading to the decline of the movement occurred in the county seat and largest city of Wasco County, Oregon, The Dalles.

In 1984, Rajneeshee teams engaged in a bio-terror attack, poisoning salad products with salmonella at local restaurants and shops, poisoning 751 people. The motivation behind the attack was to rig the local election allowing the Rajneeshees to gain political power in the city and county.

The Rajneesh were also discovered to have been running what was called "the longest wiretapping operation ever uncovered."[65]

These revelations brought criminal charges against several Rajneesh leaders, including Ma Anand Sheela, personal secretary to Rajneesh, who pleaded guilty to charges of attempted murder and assault.[66]

The convictions would eventually lead to the deportation of the leader of the movement, Rajneesh, along with a 10-year suspended sentence and $400,000 fine, in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh_movement

Thread finally moved to the Tea Room now, as this wasn't actually a discussion about the Mahayana Heart Sutra itself.

Bearing in mind that you said in New Member Introductions :

Quote Originally Posted by markridler
    I'm a complete beginner
    I think if you are interested in Buddhism, maybe it would be a good idea if at first you just tried to focus on what the historical Buddha actually taught in the early texts ... and then also investigated the commentaries and advice given by recognised Buddhist teachers.

With best wishes,

Aloka

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 3:57 AM Thu, 5:57 AM Thu, 11:57 AM Thu, 5:27 PM Thu, 7:57 PM Thu, 10:57 PM