Thread: Hi from Utah.

Hi from Utah.

I picked my username before realizing it means thank you in Chinese. But it was a happy accident because I woke up this morning feeling grateful for life. I have a good life. It’s not perfect but I’m slowly and painfully learning to let go of perfection as an obtainable goal.

I’ll admit, I tend to be restless. What’s next? Gotta plan it out. Work too hard and accomplish too little. I grew up in a religion imbedded in a society which taught me some toxic myths (such as perfection) that I will spend a lifetime unraveling. I’m starting to wonder if I knew more at infancy than I do now and I long to reconnect with that source of unadulterated knowing.

My experiences have also led to a distrust of organized anything. Probably why I haven’t found a sangha yet. This distrust is likely behind some of my issues with my job, marriage, and community. And yet I long for community and connection even if I usually manage only a tenuous connection to any community I attempt to join. I feel pulled to something but I don’t know what or where yet. I want something real. I want to feel something. What I seek is difficult to describe. Inspiration? Joy?

So much of the internet is not real. But this looks to be a genuine place of honest, open and respectful discussion and I hope to learn more about the practice of Buddhism. I started that journey many years ago (Zen) but I am still a beginner. I see truth in it and I want to follow the impulse to learn more. So here I am. Hello from Utah.

Edited: for spelling and such
    Last edited by Sheyshey; 18 Oct 18 at 16:25.

Hello Sheyshey

and thank you for introducing yourself.

With kind wishes,

Aloka

Hello and welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries! I look forward to reading your posts.

Mike

Thank you. I'm excited to learn more!

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Hi Sheyshey,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.

Hello Sheyshey, be welcome to BWB!

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 7:20 PM Fri, 9:20 PM Sat, 3:20 AM Sat, 8:50 AM Sat, 11:20 AM Sat, 2:20 PM