Share on Facebook

Thread: Awareness is your Refuge

Awareness is your Refuge

This is a quote from Ajahn Sumedho's little booklet "Intuitive Awareness"

Awareness is your refuge: Awareness of the changingness of feelings, of attitudes, of moods, of material and emotional change. Stay with that, because it’s a refuge that is indestructible. It’s not something that changes. It’s a refuge you can trust in. This refuge is not something you create. It’s not a creation. It’s not an ideal. It’s practical and very simple but easily overlooked or not noticed. When you’re mindful, you’re beginning to notice: it’s like this.

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-boo...ive-awareness/

Any comments?

Catchy phrase - 'Awareness is your refuge'. Reminiscent of DN. 16.12.

Since this is a collection of essays by Sumedho, do you have any favorites to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientbuddhism View Post

Since this is a collection of essays by Sumedho, do you have any favorites to recommend?
    Hello again ancientbuddhism!

Yes, "Suffering should be welcomed" (P.51), and "Not looking for answers, not looking for favours" (P.133)

The following quote from "Not looking for answers, not looking for favours" reminds me a little of myself when I first became involved with Buddhist centres and teachers!

I wanted the authorities, the Ajahns, the big guys, to come and say, ‘That’s right, that’s wrong, that’s good, that’s bad.’ I wanted to be clear and needed an authority figure, that I trusted and respected, to straighten me out.

Sometimes we think that things like good teachers, meditation retreats, the precepts, the refuges or a wonderful sangha are going to make us happy and solve all our problems. We reach out for help from outside, hoping this or that will do it for us. It’s like wanting God to come and help us out of the mess – and then when He doesn’t come and solve our problems, we don’t believe in God anymore. ‘I asked Him to help and He didn’t.’

This is a childish way of looking at life. We get ourselves into trouble and expect mommy and daddy to come and save the day, to clean up the mess we’ve made.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    The following quote from "Not looking for answers, not looking for favours" reminds me a little of myself when I first became involved with Buddhist centres and teachers!
    With reference to the Buddhist nun that converted to a ‘born-again Christian’ – I like how Chah put it right back on Sumedho. Outcomes are all equal in nature. But where preferences are concerned, isn’t it special for the contemplative when the big deals come; loss with all it’s anguish and stresses? I used to vent my weeks issues with my first teacher in Zen and he would say "That is really important to you." at which I would feel embarrassed at my foolish churning and chasing after it.
    Last edited by ancientbuddhism; 10 Oct 18 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientbuddhism
    I used to vent my weeks issues with my first teacher in Zen and he would say "That is really important to you." at which I would feel embarrassed at my foolish churning and chasing after it.
    That reminds me of an occasion when I was telling my late Tibetan teacher about a disagreement I'd had with someone and I said to him "I just didn't know what to say"... ..and he replied firmly "Say less." After that, I was speechless with embarrassment!

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    That reminds me of an occasion when I was telling my late Tibetan teacher about a disagreement I'd had with someone and I said to him "I just didn't know what to say"... ..and he replied firmly "Say less." After that, I was speechless with embarrassment!
    Oh this is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope to improve my pannya/awareness with a Vipassana retreat, I'm looking to enroll in.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 10:53 AM Wed, 12:53 PM Wed, 6:53 PM Thu, 12:23 AM Thu, 2:53 AM Thu, 5:53 AM