Share on Facebook

Thread: teachers

Forums Member

teachers

Hi Folks, I know this topic has been posted elsewhere, but I think this goes in a different direction. I am very distressed and disgusted by the recent scandals within Tibetan Buddhism. As more and more are coming to light, I am reevaluating my relationship to several people I had admires, and had appreciated their teachings. As you probably have read, one of them is Pema Chodron, who I can no longer even look at without disgust. I have also backed away from the Shangpa lineage for the ongoing allegiance to Kalu Rinpoche, who had an inappropriate relationship with one of his students. So, I am in a bit of a quandry.

I had been enjoying Susan Piver's work. But again, her complete devotion to Chogyam Trunpa disgust me. She did distance herself from the Shambhala organization but not from the teachings. Last week, I challenged her devotion to CTR, and my post, which was in response to a video she had posted, incredibly disappeared. So, it is time to turn elsewhere, as she's a hypocrite just like so many others in that "lineage".

So, living out in no man's land, I am stuck trying to find a teacher. I am considering working with one who is in Portland, whose talks I have appreciated on YouTube. This would be via Skype, as Portland is a five hour drive for me. That said, do any of you have suggestions about having a teacher? Does it have to be face-to-face?

Thanks,
    Lise

Hi Lise,

My suggestion would be to take your time with this and investigate carefully. Its better not having a teacher at all than to get involved with organisations that are cult- like, dubious, or have had a bad reputation previously.

Does it have to be Tibetan Buddhism ? Why not try someone like Tara Brach? She has an online course beginning in November, "on mindfulness and compassion practices that is designed to serve both new and experienced meditators."

https://www.tarabrach.com/calendar/t...ness-training/

I think she might also have some other weekly residential courses.

The Buddhanet Wordwide search facility for all Buddhist traditions could also be used as a means for finding any centres or groups near to you.

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

Alternatively, if you're interested in Secular Buddhism, maybe you could check to see if there are any of those groups in your area.

Forums Member
    Thanks Aloka, I like the idea of taking my time and not having a teacher. No, it doesn't have to be TB, and I do like Tara Brach. Have read lots of stuff and listened to her videos. I am interested in Secular Buddhism as well, but I think I want to keep something of the more traditional in my practice. I think I mentioned that I have been taking classes with Sravasti Abbey and watching videos by the nuns, and Thubten Chodron. I really like them. I do have the opportunity to Skype occasionally with a teacher who was a resident at the Abbey for five years, and is currently teaching at a center in Portland, OR, which is about 5 hours from here. I just don't know which direction to take. I should also mention that I am worried about cutting off my support system and being stranded.
    Last edited by lisehull; 02 Oct 18 at 01:19.

Forums Member
    Oh, I had seen this advertised, but it is way over my budget!

Oh dear, sorry, I didn't look at the prices!

Anyway, you've been involved with Buddhism for long enough to be familiar with the core teachings and practices, Lise, so don't worry too much.

Sometimes I think its not a bad thing to let go of one's dependence on a teacher and just try to apply what one has learned (from teachings and meditation) to one's daily life, using mindfulness and kindness as a guide.

Forums Member
    Thanks for this! I will keep all of it in mind.
    Lise

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 12:23 PM Mon, 2:23 PM Mon, 8:23 PM Tue, 12:53 AM Tue, 3:23 AM Tue, 5:23 AM