Thread: The Queen of Soul

The Queen of Soul

Today the wonderful soul singer Aretha Franklyn died at the age of 76.

"Aretha Franklin, 1942-2018: an icon for feminism, the civil rights movement and the greatest soul singer of her generation" (NME)

Here she sings "Think"

"I say a little prayer"

She will be missed...

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Aretha Franklyn -there's no singer of the present generation to match her. The power in her voice, the passion she could give to a song. She is already a legend.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I recently caught up with a newspaper I bought last week, and there was a report of Aretha Franklin's funeral in Detroit.

It was described as "flamboyant and elaborate", fit for musical royalty. There were performances from Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan, Faith Hill, Ariana Grande and Smokey Robinson. There were addresses by the Rev Al Sharpton, the Rev Jesse Jackson Sr, Louis Farrakhan and the former US President Bill Clinton. Hillary Clinton was there too, and former US President Barack Obama sent a letter which was read out.

Aretha Franklin sold more than 75 million records in her lifetime and won 18 Grammy awards. She continued to tour and record intermittently during her final year. Aretha was also an ardent champion of civil rights throughout the 1960s. Certainly we will not see her like again.

Forums Member
    I just caught the rerun of the memorial ceremony the other day. It was wonderful. I think Aretha would approve!

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 8:53 PM Mon, 10:53 PM Tue, 4:53 AM Tue, 9:23 AM Tue, 11:53 AM Tue, 2:53 PM