Share on Facebook

Thread: Listening Beyond The Words

Listening Beyond The Words

A short talk from the late Ajahn Chah.

Listening Beyond The Words

by Ajahn Chah

When the mind has wisdom, then what could there be beyond that?
    It picks things up, but there is no harm. It is not grasping tightly, but knowing and letting go.

Really, the teachings of the Buddha all make sense. Things you wouldn’t imagine really are so. It’s strange. At first I didn’t have any faith in sitting in meditation. I thought, what value could that possibly have? Then there was walking meditation — I walked from one tree to another, back and forth, back and forth, and I got tired of it and thought, what am I walking for? Just walking back and forth doesn’t have any purpose. That’s how I thought. But in fact walking meditation has a lot of value. Sitting to practice samadhi has a lot of value. But the temperaments of some people make them confused about walking or sitting meditation.

We can’t meditate in only one posture. There are four postures for humans, standing, walking, sitting, and lying down. The teachings speak about making the postures consistent and equal. You might get the idea from this that it means you should stand, walk, sit, and lie down for the same number of hours in each posture. When you hear such a teaching, you can’t figure out what it really means, because it’s talking in the way of Dhamma, not in the ordinary sense. “OK, I’ll sit for two hours, stand for two hours, then lie down for two hours…” You probably think like this. That’s what I did. I tried to practice in this way, but it didn’t work out.

Continues at the link:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Aja..._The_Words.htm

Any comments about the talk are welcome.

Ajahn Chah. gives wise advice about the extremes of our moods, and reminds us that the varying and conditioned thoughts that bring about these moods have roots that on close examination have no permanent base (no roots at all,other than conditioned reactivity)

We can't hold on to happiness all the time, and likewise low mood will also change, so to cling to any extreme is folly, easier said than done me-thinks, and perhaps a lifetime of practice may be needed, but perhaps not? If we understand that many states of depression are indeed forms of self harm and a clinging to past conditioned responses or the way we belive we should react, in certain situations, that we interpret to be the general consensus.

With practice, mental noting and pausing to ask our-self questions (is this thought reactive?, will this thought cause pain to myself and others? and seeking the best intention before opening our mouth) , then understanding that all things change, opinions, beliefs or things we once thought were going to be permanent, and then with age and honest reflection we understand how some beliefs and thoughts have been turned upside down, on realization of this truth, we understand that what we believe in this very moment is also open to change.

So the goal is to let go of extremes, to eradicate Greed anger and delusion in this moment to the best of our ability, to understand our suffering and the suffering of others and share this knowledge to make a better world (both mental and earthly) in which working alone or together, creates union not competition, where acceptance and learning replaces fear and strife, and all starting with our own inner reflection.
    Last edited by Thinker; 14 Sep 18 at 22:57. Reason: grammer

Or something like that? maybe not? Some may seek peace not personal gain, what is, perhaps, maybe just is? experience and age bring many revelations, many ups and downs, many changes in relationships, many births and many deaths, the body ages, and we do not like those changes we may fight but have no way of changing this reality and law of life, perhaps better to quickly accept this truth than to fight it? for there exists no-self other than our thoughts that also change!

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 1:25 PM Fri, 3:25 PM Fri, 9:25 PM Sat, 1:55 AM Sat, 4:25 AM Sat, 6:25 AM