Share on Facebook

Thread: Sharing a teaching

Sharing a teaching

Dear friends,

Would anyone like to share a video or an article by one of their favourite Buddhist teachers and mention briefly why they liked it?

Different members videos or articles could be posted together in this one thread, if you like, its up to you.

In Simple Terms by Venerable Ajahn Chah.

“The Cat”

“Defilements are like cats. If you give a cat something to eat whenever it wants, it’ll keep coming back more and more often. But the day will come when it’ll scratch you if you don’t feed it. So you don’t have to feed it. It’ll keep meowing and meowing, but if you don’t feed it for a day or two,it’ll stop coming back”.

“It’s the same with the defilements. If you don’t feed them, they won’t bother you. Your mind can then settle down and be still”.

I find this to be very groundings for me. It’s very well written and easy to get the message.

I find Venerable Ajahn Chah’s messages to be both practical and well thought out.
    Last edited by justusryans; 09 Aug 18 at 14:24.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I love listening to talks given by Ajahn Sumedho. He has a leisurely pace of speaking which is easy to follow. Because he comes from a Western background he speaks clearly to a Western audience.

I've chosen a 50-minute talk on Death and Mindfulness as an example. This was made only a couple of years ago. He's in his eighties now, but still doing well.

https://vimeo.com/dhammatalks/lpsume...e-escape-hatch

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 8:14 PM Thu, 10:14 PM Fri, 4:14 AM Fri, 9:44 AM Fri, 12:14 PM Fri, 3:14 PM