Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for insight to a personal experience (OBE)

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking
    I’m not sure how you can state what did or didn’t happen in my personal experience.
    Where did I do that? It certainly wan't my intention.

Anyway, I think perhaps its time for me to stop chatting for now, as I need to reply to some e-mails .

Be well and happy

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Where did I do that? It certainly wan't my intention.

Anyway, I think perhaps its time for me to stop chatting for now, as I need to reply to some e-mails .

Be well and happy
    Aloka, maybe I misunderstood your post prior to the edit. Either way, thanks for the input.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    To study Buddhism might be helpful to you, but to study Buddhism in the context of your existing beliefs will probably lead to disappointment.

There is no doctrine within Buddhism that describes out-of-body experience and as far as I know he Buddha made no mention of it.

There is no teaching within mainstream Buddhism that our essence is pure consciousness. Rather the reverse, the doctrine of anatta teaches not-self, no soul.

It has been said that the world and all we know is illusion. In that sense, whether an experience is real or not becomes a meaningless question.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscooter View Post
    To study Buddhism might be helpful to you, but to study Buddhism in the context of your existing beliefs will probably lead to disappointment.

There is no doctrine within Buddhism that describes out-of-body experience and as far as I know the Buddha made no mention of it.

There is no teaching within mainstream Buddhism that our essence is pure consciousness. Rather the reverse, the doctrine of anatta teaches not-self, no soul.

It has been said that the world and all we know is illusion. In that sense, whether an experience is real or not becomes a meaningless question.
    Thank you, that helps tremendously.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Here are the Buddha's words about anatta - not self:

SN 22.5 Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....059.nymo.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 8:13 PM Sun, 10:13 PM Mon, 4:13 AM Mon, 8:43 AM Mon, 11:13 AM Mon, 2:13 PM