Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Enlightenment Delusional?

All I know is that I'm trying to follow the 8fold path in order to reduce suffering. Enlightenment? Who knows? Not me.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I enjoyed watching the video but I question whether awakening really consists in knowledge arising from some experience of a “deeper” reality. My current thinking is that any experience in meditation is of purely instrumental value insofar as it leads to the subsidence of greed, hate, and delusion (delusion being ignorance of the 4 noble truths and being under the influence of the 4 vipallasas). Of course, I haven’t had any experiences in meditation akin to what Brad was talking about so to that extent my current thinking is uninformed.
    No. There is no new knowledge, but an experience giving you the chance to see the same things in a different way. The experience is beyond conscious thought, so there is no possibility of gaining new facts about the world. It is only when conscious experience returns that the brain tries to make sense of what happened, and to 'fill in the blanks' with suggestions as to what it might mean.

Forums Member
    Like some subjects, talking about enlightenment goes nowhere fast. Unlike the biblical injunction to seek and you will find, I am quite sure that seeking enlightenment is the surest way to never experience it. Now, I like theoretical discussions as much as the next person, but can't see much benefit in exploring what enlightenment is or is not except through our practice. I like Brad's talks, but they're just Brad's talks, not the dharma. I'm sure he is as delusional as you or I. It's just part of what it's like to be human. If we weren't delusional, we wouldn't be on this forum! We are all seeking to cut through that delusion though. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 6:45 PM Sun, 8:45 PM Mon, 2:45 AM Mon, 7:15 AM Mon, 9:45 AM Mon, 11:45 AM