Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daily Affirmations

Daily Affirmations

I have a friend who says to herself every morning " Now what can I do that's positive today?"

...and I wondered if anyone at BWB had a short affirmation which they remember regularly and could share with us?

(Other than repeating Buddhist Refuge, Precepts, Bodhisattva vows, suttas etc)

One a now deceased friend used to offer-up daily:

"If it doesn't affect your breathing, then don't sweat it!"

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I have always been inspired by a saying, attributed to Goethe but it probably owes more to the translation than the original German:

“Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute:
    What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;"

It was also quoted by the mountaineer William Hutchison Murray in 1951, only he preceded it with some words of his own, expanding on the idea:

"Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too."

When you make a firm commitment and when you know it's the right path to take, things often go more smoothly than you had dared to expect.

Forums Member
    Émile Coué's "Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better". It was rather a cliche by the time I first discovered it, in fact I think it was spoken by Spike Milligan in When the Wind Blows, but I was rather intrigued by it and followed Coué's advice where, 'Rather than making any effort of the will about it, they were to employ this suggestion while in a state of passive relaxation, such as upon awakening or just before going to bed at night.' (Wiki)

Quote Originally Posted by woodscooter View Post
    I have always been inspired by a saying, attributed to Goethe but it probably owes more to the translation than the original German:

“Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute:
    What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;"

It was also quoted by the mountaineer William Hutchison Murray in 1951, only he preceded it with some words of his own, expanding on the idea:

"Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too."

When you make a firm commitment and when you know it's the right path to take, things often go more smoothly than you had dared to expect.
    Ooh, I like this. Thank you!

My daily affirmation is “It’s all right here”.

Hi Aloka,

I have always liked Ghandi's quote., "Be the change that you want to see in the world".

Kind Regards
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Genecanuck View Post

I have always liked Ghandi's quote., "Be the change that you want to see in the world".

Nice one, Gene!

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Nice one, Gene!
    Thanks Aloka!

I have this one by the Dalai Lama that I try to read aloud every morning:

“Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.”

Peace,

-Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 9:40 AM Fri, 11:40 AM Fri, 5:40 PM Fri, 10:10 PM Sat, 12:40 AM Sat, 2:40 AM