Thread: Great modern living teachers? (the next generation)

Great modern living teachers? (the next generation)

Hi all,

I feel fortunate that we have been able to receive the wisdom of great modern teachers such as Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, Bhante Gunaratana, Shunryo Suzuki, DT Suzuki, Taisen Deshimaru, Thich Nhat Hanh, 14th Dalai Lama, etc. (I have a Theravada/Zen leaning) but I wonder what will happen now most teachers that brought the Dhamma to the West in the 60's and 70's have left us. Were these great teachers just of their time; was it all just a phase, and things are different now for Dhamma in the UK?

Do you know of any modern teachers who are teaching in the UK? (of the same calibre as the modern greats)

Hi Jade Rabbit, good to see you.

For me, Ajahn Sumedho is an extra special Theravada teacher (as well as his late teacher Ajahn Chah), but of course he's elderly now and not living in the UK any more.

However, I still think Ajahn Amaro the present abbot of Amaravati monastery is a very good teacher who's well worth listening to.... and he doesn't seem as though he's about to pass away any time soon! There are also lots of his talks available on YouTube and on the Amaravati website for anyone who is unable to visit the monastery when he's giving talks followed by question & answer sessions there.

I'm not familiar with what's happening in Vajrayana any more now, nor in the other Buddhist traditions in the UK these days, so I can't really comment on any of their most recent teachers, sorry. Perhaps someone else can.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 1:42 AM Fri, 3:42 AM Fri, 9:42 AM Fri, 2:12 PM Fri, 4:42 PM Fri, 6:42 PM