Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Meditation? I give up

Forums Member
    They vary from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Sometimes I throw in a guided meditation to help keep me on track!

Quote Originally Posted by lisehull View Post
    They vary from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Sometimes I throw in a guided meditation to help keep me on track!
    I was going to suggest that you just try 10 mins twice daily for a while but maybe you've already tried something like that already.

Quote Originally Posted by lisehull
    I am practicing calm abiding. Have been for years. Yes, I learned this at the TB center I attended. Yes, I am still in touch with the lamas there, and I also follow a couple of teachers online.
    Maybe some of the suggestions in Thrangu Rinpoche's "A Guide to Shamatha Meditation" might be helpful:

http://www.rinpoche.com/shamatha.html

...and here's Mingyur Rinpoche with 5 simple tips about meditation (approx. 3 minutes)

Forums Member
    Thanks!

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I've been looking though this thread to see whether I can give you any fresh ideas, Lise.

You have my sympathies, because I too have felt the same way about meditation as you have described. You do everything right, you follow the instructions, you vary the times and duration, yet it seems to make no difference to anything. There's no benefit. And you wonder just what you are doing it for.

But this post is not about me, it's about you. You have mentioned that it's a stressful time for you at present. I'd say that if ten minutes on the cushion doesn't let you reach a calm state, then neither will 30 minutes or an hour. If you cannot reach a calm state, no insight will follow.

So you might as well spend the next half hour on a solitary walk in the woods (if you can), or lose yourself in something creative. Just a bit of 'me' time with no expectations. Be kind to yourself. Leave meditation alone, maybe substitute a brief metta or loving-kindness practice from time to time. Start by directing metta to yourself. Just notice whether you miss those meditation sessions or not.

Take it easy, be gentle on yourself and those around you. Don't go seeking change, practise acceptance. I hope it gradually becomes easier.

Forums Member
    Thank you for this, Woodscooter! Very helpful ☺

Forums Member
    Reading through the OP, I don't know if you're familiar with 'walking meditation' but I'm wondering if it might be something worth exploring for you. It seems in this case the desired effect of the meditation is chiefly equinimity, and what I tend to think of in terms of 'the eye of the storm scenario', or 'the riverbank analogy', so perhaps a degree of detachment (not apathy) from the everyday stresses of life, basically not getting quite so caught up in the 'content' and swept along, and consequently becoming overwhelmed by thoughts, emotions and resulting reaction, as you put it.

It may well be that the sitting meditation is having little benefit, precisely because a desire for relief is subtly being taken into it, and then a space is being created that is still subject to that 'anchoring' if that makes any sense. In any event if as it sounds, the sitting meditation is being done correctly, and not having any beneficial effect, then it sounds like a change of approach might be in order. At least for the time being, just to try something new. Although of course there's a lot to be said for perseverance too.

But I've personally found that getting out in nature itself can be quite therapeutic, and that there's something about the combination of that, and the motion, which lends itself to a deeper state of presence. Odd as it may sound it's that presence, taken into everyday life of which detachment is the flip-side. And of course exorcise is good for mind and body, and may even help with the insomnia. Anyway it's just a thought, (and perhaps a good time to think about it - just coming into spring).

edit. Ok, I just saw woodscooter suggested something similar with the walk in the woods.
    Last edited by uguay; 22 Mar 18 at 15:33.

Forums Member
    Hi uguay, thanks for your comments. I will give them consideration. Raining cats and dogs these days, so it may be some time before I get outside to walk!

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lisehull View Post
    Hi uguay, thanks for your comments. I will give them consideration. Raining cats and dogs these days, so it may be some time before I get outside to walk!
    Most welcome. It sounds like some typiically British weather you're having.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 12:19 AM Mon, 2:19 AM Mon, 8:19 AM Mon, 12:49 PM Mon, 3:19 PM Mon, 5:19 PM