Share on Facebook

Thread: Eternalism and Nihilism

Eternalism and Nihilism

This is Ven Thich Nhat Hahn talking about Eternalism and Nihilism in 2004. ( approximately 3 minutes).

Any thoughts?

Forums Member
    Hi Aloka,

I enjoyed the video, I always especially enjoy listening to Thich Nhat Hahn. I don't have a lot to add, other than how I related to what he was saying, and for some reason I always thought eternalism was more about the whole identification with Self that the advaitans seem to go for, rather than soul. Could just be the two extremes of the misconception that is attikavada (eternalism) I suppose, i.e. it could apply to both scenarios, two different ways the misconception manifests.

Anyway, as you know I'm pro-rebirth, so I could relate to what he was saying about the peace that comes from the absence of a fear of death and nothingness that as he rightly says a lot of folks seem to experience. I remember being like that before, so a bit of insight into rebirth was a real boon, although I'm still no good at conveying it. But I have contentment in that respect. Calling it a supernatural power seems like a bit of an overstatement, but I understand where he's coming from, and quite frankly it's probably more beneficial than some of the iddhi (psychic powers) anyway.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 12:18 PM Sun, 2:18 PM Sun, 8:18 PM Mon, 12:48 AM Mon, 3:18 AM Mon, 5:18 AM