Thread: The peace of non reactivity

The peace of non reactivity

I came across this on a Zen blog recently and wondered if anyone had any comments in connection with looking inward at their own personal practice of the Dhamma/Dharma :

There is a profound peace found only in non-reactivity.

This is the stillness of the true Self, imbued with the natural aura of its gracious humility and total understanding, as expressed through the absolute and unquestioned acceptance of all that Is.

This is the conscious realization of aware presence, empty of effort and without resistance.

This is the essence of absolute awareness.
    It is only the imagined self—the self-perceived identity—who can become offended by another person's words, or who feels that it needs to defend its personality, character, beliefs and opinions.

It is only this false self who is angered by whatever it believes might threaten the security of its false facade. It is only the ego who demands respect—it cannot tolerate being challenged.

Do not be stirred by the swelling of any emotions that tempt your retaliation, your sarcastic retort, or your spiteful reply.

Do not entertain any demands from the ego whatsoever.
    Mindfully observe the storm of thought that swirls within you. React not. Silence your serpentine tongue and observe your mind’s egoic activity with curious attention.

To whom do these thoughts appear? Who is the “I” these thoughts seek to defend?

Quiet the mind and these answers will become clear.
    There is no entity called I—there is only egoic thinking, to which your mind has become emotionally attached.

Do you see how the self and its beliefs are empty of any existence outside of the thought that thinks them?

Take it upon yourself to realize the profound peace that can only be found in your non-reactivity.

Allow your ego to be poked, but do not respond—this strengthens the resolve of your presence of awareness, while weakening your reliance upon all of that which is false.

Ignore the subjective mind as it interacts with the world and you will notice its voice become quiet.
    When the ego is starved of your attention, its control over you will begin to disappear, allowing your true Self, your aware presence, to shine clear.

This for me is at the heart of the teachings. the non-reactive mind in a wakeful state, the pause or cetana before the process of reactivity or intention. This is just my take at this stage of my practice. Thank you for posting Aloka.

Forums Member
    I have heard this described as like sitting collected in the eye of an hurricane with the detritus of ego shed into the wall spinning around the calm, collected, centre

I'd totally agree with this, I've had a couple of experiences recently where I've spontaneously fallen into a calm. happy mindful state where I could observe the sense of self with some none attachment, these states lasted for four to five days before they passed. Nothing could touch it, fear, anger and desire were all observed and let pass. If something irritated the sense of self, the realisation arose in my mind that it was just my sakkaya-ditthi rubbing up against another's sakkaya-diitthi.
    Last edited by Traveller; 12 Feb 18 at 02:22.

Concord, New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Hi, Traveler.

Thank you for introducing me to a term new to me:

"Being caught in personality belief, (sakkaya ditthi) — the inability to comprehend anatta — causes tremendous dukkha to creatures on all the planes of existence from the lowest hell to the highest brahma worlds. This great source of suffering must be carefully examined and its workings understood if we are to escape from ..."
    source of definition found here:

It always amazes me how much I have to learn. Even more so, how much I have to practice.

Olderon, your very welcome.

Personally I prefer the term sakkaya-ditthi to ego as ego has a lot of western psychological connotations. Thank you for the access to insight link, it took me a few years of practice and an insight into anatta to realise that the sakkaya-ditthi was the source of the worlds pain. Don't get me wrong I don't think I'm some enlightened master or anything! I still get caught up in my personality belief a lot but it is getting easier to let go of these days.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 5:05 PM Sat, 6:05 PM Sun, 12:05 AM Sun, 5:35 AM Sun, 8:05 AM Sun, 11:05 AM