Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fact Check

To help others, one must first have a belief in one's own abilities and by introverted looking at how one would like to be treated oneself or friends and family by others, we gain the momentum for posistive action.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uguay View Post
    Hi Mike,

So you're basically saying there's no such thing as pure altruism, without some sort of self-interest or resentment arising in the giver?
    Hi Uguay

I have no idea if there is no pure altruism, I do know that if a person is sacrificing their welfare then there will be an affect of the sacrifice, that is liable to be negative, otherwise they would care for others because they had a positive reinforcing wellbeing experience, that would fall into the last category

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McKmike View Post
    Hi Uguay

I have no idea if there is no pure altruism, I do know that if a person is sacrificing their welfare then there will be an affect of the sacrifice, that is liable to be negative, otherwise they would care for others because they had a positive reinforcing wellbeing experience, that would fall into the last category
    Hi Mike,

Yes, the more I think about the situation, it makes sense that taking care of oneself, and practicing well, would be a necessary foundation for helping, or taking care of others.

Still, there's something about the wording of that first sutta posted by silence ...

It basically says, "The individual who practices for the benefit of others but not for his/her own", ~is lower than~ " The individual who practices for his/her own benefit but not for that of others."

I find that an intriguing position.

I guess I'll chalk it up to the situation detailed in my first line here, but I notice the sutta you subsequently posted focused more toward the fourth, (and obviously ideal scenario), where both benefits are being practiced, and the two suttas Aloka posted basically listed them in the order of 3, 2, 1, 4, however didn't appear to explicitly express an order of merit.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silence View Post
    On the other hand, if one tries to help others without having helped oneself first, because of wrong view and/or bad habits, one might actually end up harming both.
    I'd completely missed this reply for some reason.

Yes, absolutely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 1:29 PM Fri, 3:29 PM Fri, 9:29 PM Sat, 1:59 AM Sat, 4:29 AM Sat, 6:29 AM