Share on Facebook

Thread: Study suggests Tibetan Buddhist monastics have an above-average fear of death

Study suggests Tibetan Buddhist monastics have an above-average fear of death

"Study suggests Tibetan Buddhist monastics have an above-average fear of death"

by Haleigh Atwood

https://www.lionsroar.com/research-s...-than-average/

Any comments about the article ?

Perhaps they were happier with life than other groups? Readers should note from previous general elections and Brexit votes that statistics can very often misrepresent the truth, which is probably down to the ever-changing mindset of the individual being interviewed?.The method of closed questioning (sometimes not open questioning) also needs reflection by the reader, as does the credibility of the amateurs or professionals taking out the information!

Not my cup of tea this article, and the rag must have more interesting people or observations that deserve print?

Regarding the study, it's possible that Tibetan Buddhists might be more fearful of death because of all the alleged visions of peaceful and wrathful deities and so on in the graphically described 49 days of the after -death "Bardo" that they believe happens before one's next rebirth .

Forums Member
    Fear of death can be an important impetus for practice for such people, after all they are investing their whole lives in monastic Buddhism. Perhaps we don't fear death enough, and, in neglecting this aspect of living, miss out on the energy it can bring. For me the article misses out on why religions favoring life after death are so popular- why be afraid of death if it doesn't mean the end of you, that you go on forever (as long as you follow the rules, of course). I think the premise of the study was wrong. Not having belief in an eternal soul, Buddhism has to resort to other strategies to ameliorate the truth of life and death, or rather to meet the truth head on.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 8:40 PM Sun, 10:40 PM Mon, 4:40 AM Mon, 10:10 AM Mon, 12:40 PM Mon, 3:40 PM