Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Death

Forums Member
    Lisehull is right. My reply is very intellectualized. The meditation is intended to light a fire under oneís butt; I brought it up here, because Iíve found it more conducive to acceptance and letting go.

Youíve got a lot of bad news all at once, dwlemen. It takes time to process. You say you donít know where to start or where to go to do that, but youíve already identified the problem: You want life, to see your kids grow up, to meet your grandkids, to enjoy your twilight years, but youíre afraid itíll be taken from you. Youíre clinging. It causes panic, anger, grief... Knowing that is a good start in processing it.

Forums Member
    So, as I said, for many of us (including not just me in this forum) it's about being dead, not existing any longer, a body rotting, and so forth. I am skeptical about rebirth, but even if it does happen, who I am now, this body, will no longer exist, will be rotting in a grave, or burned up in a crematorium. I am terrified about this. dwlemen and I are pretty much thinking along the same lines. Telling me I am not a self, empty, etc., doesn't ease the terror.

re the panicky thing - do you not find though, perhaps when you do breathing-focused meditating, that sometimes you understand you've been holding a tension, bodily, and when you release it, your breaths are perhaps a little bit... 'rapid' - i guess is the word - and your abdominal muscles are a little bit trembly ?
    -
    I find, and I hope you might find too, that staying with sensations as well, rather than just emotions, and blowing breath out - perhaps with pursed lips - or making a "ffff" sound - whatever you opt for that feels better -

but emphasizing exhaling .... does go towards easing the experience (....of thinking those things about dying) xx

Recognize fear, acknowledge it, breathe it out xx

[perhaps let your emotions be just the surf, on the deeper wave of your breath]

/: -)

Quote Originally Posted by lisehull View Post
    So, as I said, for many of us (including not just me in this forum) it's about being dead, not existing any longer, a body rotting, and so forth. I am skeptical about rebirth, but even if it does happen, who I am now, this body, will no longer exist, will be rotting in a grave, or burned up in a crematorium. I am terrified about this. dwlemen and I are pretty much thinking along the same lines. Telling me I am not a self, empty, etc., doesn't ease the terror.
    xxx

This talk "Confronting Fear" by Gil Fronsdal of the USA Insight Meditation Centre might be helpful in some way:

http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/audio_player/5573.html

Here's Ven Thich Nhat Hahn talking for just over a minute about the fear of death:

Forums Member
    Well, I have heard this from Thich Nhat Hahn on more than one occasion and have read his book on the subject. The notion of "transformation" that he suggests is somewhat soothing to me, BUT it doesn't really eradicate the panic I have about being dead, non-existing in the flesh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 6:11 PM Sun, 8:11 PM Mon, 2:11 AM Mon, 7:41 AM Mon, 10:11 AM Mon, 1:11 PM