Share on Facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anti-natalism

anti-natalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinatalism

I'm wondering about people's thoughts on this topic, but I'm off to work at the moment. BBL

People do in life generally what they are predisposed to do. Buddhism teaches antinatalism to those who are predisposed to become monks & nuns.

Dave, if all humans became anti-natalists overnight, what do you think our responsibility to the animal kingdom would be?

There'd be a whole process of "turning out the lights", such as staged depopulation, removal of human infrastructure, etc. These things have already been puzzled out by the The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by daverupa View Post
    There'd be a whole process of "turning out the lights", such as staged depopulation, removal of human infrastructure, etc. These things have already been puzzled out by the The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, among others.
    So you're only anti-natalist regarding humans? Or do you feel that we can't make the choice for animals? Existence as an animal is arguably worse than as a human, buddhism traditionally agrees with that assessment as well.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying humans have to be here to care for other animals?

I figure an anti-natalist might want to sterilize the whole planet, down to the last insect, to prevent the suffering of future animals.

The negative utilitarians are the ones who would more likely stick around for the animals, I'm not sure an anti-natalist would necessarily feel the same obligation.

But pragmatically speaking, I don't think anti-natalism will ever be implemented in a significant way, not unless an anti-natalist general artificial intelligence "benevolently" sterilizes everyone against their will in the future. So it's probably best just to think of it as a personal decision. I'm ambivalent on the personal matter. If I fell in love to the point of taking my partner on for life, AND my partner wanted her own kids, I'd probably feel inclined to do so. Although for the sake of the earth it might be best to only have one biological child and adopt any others. If I could genetically engineer the embryo to maximize its potential for well-being in life, I'd prefer to do that as well. I don't have a strong drive to personally bring any humans into existence though.

Well, you figure incorrectly, but otherwise it's a clear response to the OP, so that's pretty cool.

So do you take anti-natalism, as an enacted ethical position, to be by definition not going further than the promotion of non-procreation for humans? And perhaps also non-forced procreation in the case of animals, e.g. dog-breeding, cattle rearing etc.?

Anti-natalism is the position that people should refrain from procreation because it is immoral. That's the extent of the term.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 10:27 AM Tue, 12:27 PM Tue, 6:27 PM Tue, 11:57 PM Wed, 2:27 AM Wed, 5:27 AM