Thread: Do you practise Metta?

Do you practise Metta?

Dear friends,

Do you practise Metta? If so, please could you describe which particular method you use - and if you think its helpful to you in your everyday life.

Here's an example from Ajahn Jayasaro (approx. 5 minutes):

Hello Aloka,

I really connect with Pema Chodron. Thanks for starting this topic.

Gene
    Last edited by Genecanuck; 09 Oct 17 at 11:45.

This is a 40 minute guided metta meditation from Ajahn Sucitto:

http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/9/talk/4730/

Do you practise Metta? If so, please could you describe which particular method you use - and if you think its helpful to you in your everyday life.

These days I do a repetition of this (sometimes mentally)at any time I remember, and imagine I'm radiating loving kindness to all sentient beings. I also do it at the end of meditation practice.

I think its helpful in all kinds of circumstances and can even be done when walking down the road etc.

"May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
    May they never be deprived of true happiness devoid of any suffering.
    May I and others abide in great impartiality, free from attachment to loved ones and aversion to others."

I have a much easier time with metta towards animals other than humans, and that's a natural thing for me that I don't have to practice on purpose. So, I try to see humans as 'just other animals', and so an aggressive person is like an aggressive dog because it's not really that being, it's the horrible context of their life that's led to this, and it sucks for them too, and for a lot longer than they've upset me. Anger then can dissipate, but very often it turns into sadness, which - for me - is then addressed with karuna.

I do this when people are around or when past irritations come to mind. I don't make a sitting practice of it.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 6:13 PM Sun, 8:13 PM Mon, 2:13 AM Mon, 7:43 AM Mon, 10:13 AM Mon, 1:13 PM