Thread: Practising in the modern world

Practising in the modern world

Recently I was looking at sutta Sn 4.5 - "Paramatthaka Sutta: On Views."

"A person who associates himself with certain views, considering them as best and making them supreme in the world, he says, because of that, that all other views are inferior; therefore he is not free from contention (with others)."

continued :

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...4.05.irel.html
    and also at sutta Ud 6.4 - "Tittha Sutta: Sectarians".

Excerpt:

Some recluses and brahmans, so called,
    Are deeply attached to their own views;
    People who only see one side of things
    Engage in quarrels and disputes.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...6.04.irel.html
    ...and I wondered to what extent do you think you are mentally affected by all the disputes and the tragic circumstances of one kind or another around the world, which we are continually exposed to through the media - and how do you deal with this in terms of your Buddhist practice?

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    ...and I wondered to what extent do you think you are mentally affected by all the disputes and the tragic circumstances of one kind or another around the world, which we are continually exposed to through the media -

and how do you deal with this in terms of your Buddhist practice?
    By recollecting that this is a dog-eat-dog world, samsara.

I try and avoid either watching news or listening to it as its always negative,unless they add a feel good type story right at the end.If I do watch it or listen to it,it can make me feel anxious or sad.Sometimes I have little choice,because at work for example,the radio is on all day throughout the workplace so no escaping it.Even in the canteen,the tv is set on Sky News!! If I am affected,I try and refocus my mind on something more positive.I also have been known to practice meditation whilst in the toilet! :) (Its the only place thats private enough!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Recently I was looking at sutta Sn 4.5 - "Paramatthaka Sutta: On Views."

and also at sutta Ud 6.4 - "Tittha Sutta: Sectarians".

Excerpt:

...and I wondered to what extent do you think you are mentally affected by all the disputes and the tragic circumstances of one kind or another around the world, which we are continually exposed to through the media - and how do you deal with this in terms of your Buddhist practice?

Hello Aloka,
    When I watch the news, I say silent prayer when I hear about a tragic world event that is causing pain in people and wish them freedom from suffering and the root causes of suffering.

Gene

I'm a bit like Jacaranda and avoid watching or reading news, but I do go onto the BBC News and Guardian websites daily. That way I can pick and choose what I watch or read about. I always keep in mind that I'm actually listening or reading someone else's view and opinion on things, and therefore take everything with a grain of salt.

I think with the amount of information available to us now in modern times, we have to be very discerning about what we allow into our lives.

From a Buddhist practice point of view, it means much more to me to see what's right in front of my face and keep things simple; if I meet or see someone who needs help, I help them.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 8:36 AM Sat, 10:36 AM Sat, 4:36 PM Sat, 9:06 PM Sat, 11:36 PM Sun, 2:36 AM