Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most helpful teaching or practice

Most helpful teaching or practice

Dear friends,

Which Buddhist teaching or meditation practice have you found to be most helpful so far - and why?

Forums Member
    I've found various Buddhist teachings to be most helpful at different times. Presently, contemplating the skeleton is most helpful. After getting past the morbid aspect, I find it has a grounding and calming effect, serves as a vivid framework for hanging the other unattractive parts of the body for contemplation, and aids in mindfulness of postures and activities.

It's contributed to my basic mindfulness skills & practices (though in my case it's not quite the panacea that others make it out to be). Its empiricism is also quite helpful, both during practice & in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Dear friends,

Which Buddhist teaching or meditation practice have you found to be most helpful so far - and why?

Hello Aloka,

So far, I found Jack Kornfield's Wise Heart book helpful. I can't put it into words but its connecting with Metta I think.... the practice of loving kindness.

Regards

Gene

Forums Member
    Hi Aloka

For me this sutta encapsulates all that I need for the path :-

[The Buddha:]
    "So this is what you think of me: 'The Blessed One, sympathetic, seeking our well-being, teaches the Dhamma out of sympathy.' Then you should train yourselves — harmoniously, cordially, and without dispute — in the qualities I have pointed out, having known them directly: the four frames of reference, the four right exertions, the four bases of power, the five faculties, the five strengths, the seven factors for Awakening, the noble eightfold path."

— M.103

This is the basis for - Wings to Awakening - An Anthology from the Pali Canon by Thanissaro Bhikkhu http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a...ngs/index.html

Previous Member
    Lately I find Joseph Goldstein to be the most helpful. As I've grown in my practice I've come to face many questions during my meditation and my daily life. Goldstein seems to address so many of these. He formed, the Insight Meditation Society, (Kornfield was also one of the founders), wrote several books (Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening is my favorite), and has a podcast.

The questions were about jhana vs vipassana and the nature of sila or ethics. One thing that really hit home for me was his take on Buddhas teaching of craving for becoming. He describes it as a sense of leaning into the next moment. He says that most of us always have this sense that leads us to excitement or anxiety.

Hello S8Or1,

Many thanks for sharing this post.

I know this might not be directly related to this thread... Aloka, feel free to move it if you don't think it is a good fit.:)

I found a Scientific American article that builds on Joseph Goldstein's teachings about working with fear and anxiety and leaning into the next moment.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...best-medicine/

Gene

Forums Member
    I was always grateful for being taught the two meditations of metta bhavana and mindfulness of breathing as basic meditations to return to again and again. I had been experimenting for years with many different meditations up to that point, and had missed out on such a fundamental step.

The teaching of Anatta = https://accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka....059.nymo.html

Is a most significant breakthrough for me, and the Four Truths the cure for the realization.

The Book of eights and the Dhammapada my favourite reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Dear friends,

Finally I found in Zazen the way to awake to Happiness. Keeps the mind still during the day, keeps the mind at ease with daily happenings and keeps me in equanimity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 3:48 PM Mon, 5:48 PM Mon, 11:48 PM Tue, 5:18 AM Tue, 7:48 AM Tue, 10:48 AM