Thread: Replaying old events

Replaying old events

This is a quote from Thich Nhat Hanh's book "Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm."

“When we recognize that we have a habit of replaying old events and reacting to new events as if they were the old ones, we can begin to notice when that habit energy comes up. We can then gently remind ourselves that we have another choice. We can look at the moment as it is, a fresh moment, and leave the past for a time when we can look at it compassionately.”

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...ough-the-storm

Any comments?

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    It's very true.

TNH has a way of summarising his wisdom in a few well-chosen words.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    This is a quote from Thich Nhat Hanh's book "Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm."

Any comments?
    Hi Aloka,
    Many thanks for sharing this quote Aloka. It reminds me of that we always have the ability to understand karma and take responsibility for states of being.

Regards

Gene

HI again Aloka,
    I read all the Thich Nhat Hanh quotes and i found this one to be the most profound wisdom...

“If we have fear, we can’t be completely happy. If we’re still running after the object of our desire, then we still have fear. Fear goes together with craving. We want to be safe and happy, so we begin to crave a particular person or object or idea (such as wealth or fame) that we think will guarantee our well-being. We can never fully satisfy our craving, so we keep running and we stay scared. If you stop running after the object of your craving—whether it’s a person, a thing, or an idea—your fear will dissipate. Having no fear, you can be peaceful. With peace in your body and mind, you aren’t beset by worries, and in fact you have fewer accidents. You are free”.
    ― Thich Nhat Hanh, Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm

Aloka, I am feeling grateful that you have created this website and dedicate your time to helping all of us with our life journey.

Many thanks

Gene

Aloka, I am feeling grateful that you have created this website and dedicate your time to helping all of us with our life journey.

Many thanks

Gene

Thank you very much for your kind words, Gene.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    /.../
    Any comments?

I don't think it is about replaying old events, it's about learning the lesson. The old event is just an illustration of the lesson that needs to be learned, and until the lesson is learned, the old event/illustration will replay itself.

Quote Originally Posted by binocular View Post

I don't think it is about replaying old events, it's about learning the lesson. The old event is just an illustration of the lesson that needs to be learned, and until the lesson is learned, the old event/illustration will replay itself.
    I think that's a bit too optimistic, assuming that there is some value in every thought or memory replay. I think sometimes replay is useless and the only lesson to be learned is how to drop the replay and focus on the now, or the future.

That being said, I do think replay evolved for having that sort of survival/"thrival" value, but that it is a very imperfect mechanism for self/situation improvement, not to be relied on in all instances of spontaneous memory recall or the arising of repetitive thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by binocular

Just a reflection that sometimes the best approach is to bow to thoughts and let them go. No lessons learned but just releasing them because they are based on previous habitual thought patterns coming from old reactions.

Peace

Gene

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 8:36 AM Sat, 10:36 AM Sat, 4:36 PM Sat, 9:06 PM Sat, 11:36 PM Sun, 2:36 AM