Thread: Ask monk Yuttadhammo: Resistance to Ordination of Women

Last edited by Element; 10 Mar 11 at 06:28.

Groan. Listening to this dude... I'm losing the will to live.

Okay, let's try to sum up his argument.

Girls, you shouldn't take ordination because we all know how much you like a good chat with your pals. Alone in the forest, it's not so good.
    We all know that girls like to dance around their handbags in nightclubs. Handbags are great for keeping all your girlie stuff in. Bad news is,
    you can't have one if you're a nun. Not even any MONEY! Wow, so NO shopping and that hurts right?

Just think of the state your nails would get into, not to mention your hair... sorry girls you'd have to remove it all, even the extensions and
    highlights. Not good.

It's not sexist see, just got your own interests at heart. Anyway, isn't it time you sorted the dinner out?
    Last edited by srivijaya; 11 Mar 11 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by srivijaya View Post
    Groan. Listening to this dude... I'm losing the will to live.
    Lol ! I suddenly realised I had something urgent to do before I got to the end of the video....

I'm not so sure about women not being able to cope alone. I remember years ago encountering a huge and rather unfriendly western Tibetan Buddhist nun who towered above me and was quite intimidating. I can imagine even wild animals would have second thoughts about attacking we women if we're as fierce as that !

Also, if the sight of women tempts monks a lot, then they're just being like ordinary lustful men who would secretly like to have sex with every attractive woman they meet - and they're not really practising properly if it's a big problem. The whole world can't be removed, ones attitudes towards it can.

I found an article at the Buddhist Channel :

"Gender and religion: Where nuns fear to tread"

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index....2,9963,0,0,1,0

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka-D View Post

I found an article at the Buddhist Channel :

"Gender and religion: Where nuns fear to tread"

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index....2,9963,0,0,1,0
    Explosive topic Aloka-D. I think we should just do it our way in the West and ordain women. The Thai culture will catch up sooner or later. I never realised that nuns were allowed in SriLanka. See - no excuse for our Mr AsktheMonk man!

Tibetan Buddhist nuns can't get full gelongma ordination either, and in this country I think they have to go to Sri Lanka, certainly somewhere abroad, to get it. However, the Karmapa said last year he was going to change things.

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index....0,9397,0,0,1,0

Apart from Yutta's sexual issues, he did make a good point by quoting a senior monk, where it was said the Thai monastic system is "burdened"

the Thai monastic system has become part of the social fabric, for example, each man ordaining for three months in his life; men ordaining for all kinds of reasons, such as to receive an education, including university, because their background is economically poor; men ordaining solely for the purpose of giving up drug addiction; etc

it was a valid point, imo. if the Thai monastic system was purely for monastic purposes, i.e., spiritual path or dhamma teaching, then it would not be so "burdened" and more flexible

but traditionally, the Thai monastic system has served so many purposes

regards

Last edited by Element; 12 Mar 11 at 23:12.

Thanks for the background info there element. Oddly enough, I bumped into three Thai monks this weekend whilst out for the day in York. They were being chaperoned, sorted out and generally told what to do by a very charismatic and feisty Thai lady (non-sahgha, jeans and western looking). She didn't look very oppressed to me, rather the three monks meekly did as instructed.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 2:43 AM Wed, 4:43 AM Wed, 10:43 AM Wed, 3:13 PM Wed, 5:43 PM Wed, 7:43 PM