Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A book that has changed my thinking

Quote Originally Posted by nigele2
    Now meditation on a train?? Can anyone help with that?
    We don't have any meditation teachers in the group, so maybe select something from here:

http://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-book...st-meditation/

or the meditation resources thread here:

https://www.buddhismwithoutboundarie...ist-Meditation

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nigele2 View Post

Anyway tx all. It is all very interesting and I mean that. Have a business trip back to UK Wednesday with 2 flights and two long train trips so have some time to do some serious reading. Now meditation on a train?? Can anyone help with that?
    This might work....satipattana...which is pali for foundations of mindfulness.
    My take on it is this: On the train, close your eyes if this is what you usually do when meditating and then focus on "there is a body" while feeling the sensations of your body. You can repeat to yourself mentally "there is a body" to remind yourself if your mind wanders. After awhile you might want to change your focus to the idea that it is actually feelings which you feel that you are interpreting as indicating the presence of a body and change your focus to "there are feelings"....again repeating as necessary if you forget. Then after awhile you might want to change your focus to the fact that it is a mind which is aware of the feelings or cognizes the feelings and change your focus to "there is a mind"....again repeating etc. Then after awhile you might want to change your focus to "xxx". This one is in my view very subjective and I would not want to try to direct anyone in any particular direction as to the meaning of this one or how to apply it to mindfulness practice. If you want to find out about this one you should read something about satipattana....there are two suttas (at least) which deal directly with it and you can google your favorite sutta site and find them or there are many articles available explaining various people's approaches to it....thanisarro has a good one I think.

What I describe is just my take on it.....don't be surprised if after reading up on this subject you think that I am completely wrong. All views are to be abandoned.
    OH, by the way I think it is best to not overdo the "there is a body" internal speech....just do it as necessary...if done as a sort of mantra it can itself interfere I think.....and.....you can just stick with one of the four if that seems good or go back and forth between any of them or even sort of combine some or all of them as I think that they are not so much different things as they are different aspects of the same thing.....I may be wrong though.....
    chownah

Forums Member
    ONe more thing. I think that the big mistake is to think in terms of "there is MY body"....same for feeling, mind, and the xxx. This would be identifying with those things and is what the delusional sense of self is all about so I think this should be very definitely avoided. It can be argued that the main point of this exercise is to train oneself to not give rise to the delusional sense of self which is why I think it is a mistake to think in terms of "my body" etc.
    chownah

Also, really don't take my word for this stuff....it is just my approach and might not be suitable for anyone except for me....I guess.....don't know for sure....
    chownah

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chownah View Post
    Also, really don't take my word for this stuff....it is just my approach and might not be suitable for anyone except for me....I guess.....don't know for sure....
    chownah
    chownah for me it is all about experimentation and seeing what works or not, what is useful or not. So your offering is very welcome and will be my focus sunday on my way from Bournemouth to Warrington by train. Might even skip the hotel bar/restaurant to meditate on a few nights which will at least give a physical and bank account benefit.

I also have a window seat on the two and a half hour outbound flight. Gazing into the beautiful sky with the land spread out way below. If the awe of that does't pacify the mind I don't know what will. Of course these days getting 5 minutes without the cabin crew wanting to sell you something can be difficult

Tx all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:09 AM Sun, 7:09 AM Sun, 1:09 PM Sun, 5:39 PM Sun, 8:09 PM Sun, 10:09 PM