Thread: Falling from a Tree

Falling from a Tree

I was browsing my little book of Ajahn Chah similes called "A Tree in a Forest" and though I'd post this one:

Falling from a Tree

If we divide up the Paticcasamuppada as it is in the scriptures, we say Ignorance gives rise to Volitional Activities, Volitional Activities give rise to Consciousness, Consciousness gives rise to Mind and Matter, Mind and Matter give rise to the six Sense Bases, the Sense Bases give rise to Sense Contact, Sense Contact gives rise to Feeling, Feeling gives rise to Wanting, Wanting gives rise to Clinging, Clinging gives rise to Becoming, Becoming gives rise to Birth, Birth gives rise to Old Age, Sickness, Death and all forms of sorrow.

But in truth, when we come into contact with something we don't like, there is immediate suffering. The mind passes through the chain of the Paticcasamuppada so rapidly that we can't keep up.

It's like falling from a tree. Before we can realize what's happening - thud! - we've already hit the ground. Actually we pass by many twigs and branches on the way down, but it all happens so fast that we aren't able to count them nor remember them as we fall.

It's the same with the Paticcasamuppada. The immediate suffering that we experience is the result of going through the whole chain of the Paticcasamuppada. This is why the Buddha exhorted his disciples to investigate and know fully their own mind, so that they could catch themselves before they hit the ground.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Aja...ng_from_a_Tree

Any comments ?

Forums Member
    Sadly that sums up perfectly what I suffer from. And hopefully I'll find a way to slow the fall. So thanks for posting that Aloka.

Forums Member
    Hi

As a new meditator I was amazed at just how fast the mind is, this is what I think Ajahn Chah is saying here.

I take the advice as not trying to look at dependant origination as linear, a process that can be slowed sufficiently to see each stage, it is not linear, it describes the aggregates of experience, so his excellent advise "This is why the Buddha exhorted his disciples to investigate and know fully their own mind, so that they could catch themselves before they hit the ground." is referring to understanding in ever subtle detail how your mind is working and what is pushing your buttons

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:18 AM Sun, 7:18 AM Sun, 1:18 PM Sun, 5:48 PM Sun, 8:18 PM Sun, 10:18 PM