Thread: It's the same.

It's the same.

I use to suffer from terrible social anxiety and anxiety in general, I would hate the city, crowds of people made everything feel as if I was walking on thin ice and so being already an introvert it made me lock myself away for longer periods of time to avoid the world.

Working was stressful and it was depressing I didn't know anyone in a sense I was alone. I can be impatient but one day it struck me. I was going through a time of high stress and anxiety and anger, in the heat of the moment I said something to myself that eerily stuck with me " I am creating all of this. " I didn't understand what that meant at the time or why I said it but from that point on I started examining the present moment.

I realized that this moment is the only moment that reality is. That it's the same, even in the past those past experience's came from a present moment of things happening, that in a sense there was no story about it, or a person who's story it is because in this moment the past only comes as thoughts and images but the present moment is the same and everything remains as it is no matter what I understand of it feel /believe or think of it. My anxiety that plagued me for years disappeared as well as anger and depression. Being in the city, working even just being alone is actually peaceful I can laugh and mean it for once. I'm not very good with describing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloom

I realized that this moment is the only moment that reality is
    Hi Bloom,

Its good that you've been able to overcome your anxiety and depression and focus on the here and now, because city life can get very hectic. You might like to read what the Buddha said in sutta MN131:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....131.nana.html

...and from Ajahn Sumedho:

In the moment of mindfulness, there is no suffering

In the moment of mindfulness, there is no suffering. I can’t find any suffering in mindfulness; it’s impossible; there’s absolutely none. But when there’s heedlessness, there is a lot of suffering in my mind. If I give in to grasping things, to wanting things, to following emotions or doubts and worries and being caught up in things like that—then there is suffering. It all begins from my grasping. But when there is mindfulness and right understanding, then I can’t find any suffering at all in this moment, now. This is about this moment here and now. It’s not about whether suffering exists as a kind of metaphysic or abstraction or theory of suffering.

We’re not talking about suffering as a theory or an idea, but as an actual experience, here and now. There might be physical pain, but if we’re mindful, we reflect on this as: There is pain. It’s like this. But then we don’t create aversion around it; so there’s no suffering. If we have a fever or cancer or anything that people think is suffering, and then we’re mindful, there is no suffering in that moment. When there is heedlessness, we might worry or be caught in despair and negative states towards it. But at any moment of mindfulness and understanding, there is no suffering.

This is why it’s a direct teaching. It’s always apparent here and now—timeless, encouraging investigation, leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise.

Continued at the link:

https://buddhismnow.com/2014/09/18/i...ajahn-sumedho/

Forums Member
    You are great at expressing yourself and the message is pertinent and potent. Thanks for posting!

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 4:53 AM Thu, 6:53 AM Thu, 12:53 PM Thu, 6:23 PM Thu, 8:53 PM Thu, 11:53 PM