Thread: Donations for Buddhist Guided meditations

Forums Member

Donations for Buddhist Guided meditations

Greetings,

What is the opinion of having to pay say 5 for everytime you visit a Buddhist 'centre' for a guided meditation class or any meditation for that matter.

Is this the norm?

Hi Andy,

Yes I think that's ok if the session has a meditation teacher and isn't less than one hour. Buddhist centres usually have to find the money for overheads such as rent for the room, or for the property, lighting, heating etc.

It isn't usual to have to pay to go into a Buddhist shrine room to meditate alone though.

Forums Member
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Its common, particularly among Mahayana & Tibetan traditions to advertise & conduct beginners meditation extensively.

However, in Theravada traditions, it is less common, where generally voluntary donations are encouraged.

I was refering to Buddhist centres rather than monasteries.

However, the Samatha Trust (which is Theravada) in the UK, runs teacher led meditation classes (and I think they do some sutta study ) costing about 4 or 5 - to cover costs for the room hire.... and they also have a retreat facility in Wales.

Always support the Dharma if you can :) it's why you can have classes and great teachers.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 12:38 AM Thu, 2:38 AM Thu, 8:38 AM Thu, 1:08 PM Thu, 3:38 PM Thu, 5:38 PM