Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Why do people make public claims to Enlightement?

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Here's a Tibetan Buddhist point of view from the late Tralegkyabgon Rinpoche in an article "Letting Go of Spiritual Experience".
    Good article. I like the 'going home' bit, as you really do feel that. You are home, and realise that you have never left, but now you know it. There are many experiences and realisations along the way. The best way to deal with most of them is to move on and treat them for what they are, experiences along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralegkyabgon Rinpoche
    As spiritual practitioners, we are instructed not to attach too much significance to these experiences. The advice is to resist the temptation to become fixated on the experiences themselves.
    This was the case on a couple of occasions when I talked to my late Tibetan teacher about my own "experiences" because he said afterwards with a smile: " Yes,yes - just keep practising".

I also recall an interview with another Tibetan teacher, who asked me a question about my practice and then afterwards said: "Now forget about it".

I think it was all good advice because we can definately attach far too much importance to these things and then start thinking we're somehow special because of some experience or other and therefore can "teach" others, which in my opinion is a big mistake.

The world keeps spinning, life goes on and the bins still have to be put out....

Forums Member
    Although for my purposes I would rather people do both- share experiences and move on!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 1:13 AM Tue, 3:13 AM Tue, 9:13 AM Tue, 2:43 PM Tue, 5:13 PM Tue, 8:13 PM