Thread: My Right Livelihood

Forums Member

My Right Livelihood

So, working with the Eightfold Noble Path, watching a video from someone that have come to like. Her words seem to back up what have been reading from more than one source concerning this issue. There is sure to be some debate and difference of opinion here and that would make for fine discussion. Am looking forward.

So, Right Livelihood prohibits the selling of alcohol from what I understand. My job requires that I sell alcohol to those who wish to purchase it (though not many do) and it certainly is far from my primary responsibility. Am assuming that this does not fall under the prohibition except by perhaps the most extreme. Am not staying up nights worrying over this, but curious as to what others think. Discussion?

Can't tell you what's correct or not. I quit my job because I was hauling frozen meat around the country. I decided being in that industry wasn't a right livelihood for me. I would say do it till you are uncomfortable doing it. That's my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsfa1 View Post
    My job requires that I sell alcohol to those who wish to purchase it (though not many do) and it certainly is far from my primary responsibility. Am assuming that this does not fall under the prohibition except by perhaps the most extreme. Am not staying up nights worrying over this, but curious as to what others think. Discussion?
    In my opinion, it is not wrong livelihood for the following reasons:

1. It is not your business. The suttas refer to a 'business' of selling intoxicants as wrong. You are merely an 'employee'.

2. You are not promoting or encouraging people to buy alcohol. Thus, you are not (internally) generating 'intention' for people to buy alcohol. Your role is passive.

Regards

Forums Member
    I think that it helps to be in a form of employment that falls into the 'right livelihood' spectrum, but then we all have to make a living somehow. My guess is that you will only need to leave if you ever notice your work holding you back so much that you make no further progress.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 2:40 PM Wed, 4:40 PM Wed, 10:40 PM Thu, 4:10 AM Thu, 6:40 AM Thu, 9:40 AM