Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Panic attacks and ways of dealing with them

Bhikkhu Yuttadhammo talks about anxiety and panic attacks. (approx. 15 minutes).

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I would like to discuss a topic, which is very important for me, as I'm dealing with a problem of panic attacks now and then. The point is - I sometimes get very anxious, especially about some people, and that they can harm me, or treat me badly, cause me physical or mental pain or use me for their purposes.
    Perhaps such panic is simply the beginning of a recognition that one doesn't know or have the skills for how to deal with (potentially) dangerous people; and that lack of such knowledge and skills is in itself a liability. So the fear is perfectly justified and points at things that need to be learned.

I used to be horribly afraid of dogs; and for good reason: many dogs are dangerous, and I was bitten by a dog in the past. At some point, I had the good fortune to see that my not knowing how to handle myself around a dog and that my not knowing how to handle a potentially dangerous dog were serious liabilities. So I've learned some things about this and put them into practice. Since then, I feel significantly calmer around dogs. And I have fewer problems with dogs, too.

Forums Member
    The panic attacks I have experienced are of a somewhat different order. An analogy might be standing in a high wind, worrying that it might get worse. Anxiety. The wind is now a hurricane, taking you off your feet, tumbling you through the air, about to dash you against a cliff face. Panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by binocular View Post
    Perhaps such panic is simply the beginning of a recognition that one doesn't know or have the skills for how to deal with (potentially) dangerous people; and that lack of such knowledge and skills is in itself a liability. So the fear is perfectly justified and points at things that need to be learned.

I used to be horribly afraid of dogs; and for good reason: many dogs are dangerous, and I was bitten by a dog in the past. At some point, I had the good fortune to see that my not knowing how to handle myself around a dog and that my not knowing how to handle a potentially dangerous dog were serious liabilities. So I've learned some things about this and put them into practice. Since then, I feel significantly calmer around dogs. And I have fewer problems with dogs, too.
    I think this is a good answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 8:26 AM Sat, 10:26 AM Sat, 4:26 PM Sat, 8:56 PM Sat, 11:26 PM Sun, 1:26 AM