Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Panic attacks and ways of dealing with them

Bhikkhu Yuttadhammo talks about anxiety and panic attacks. (approx. 15 minutes).

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I would like to discuss a topic, which is very important for me, as I'm dealing with a problem of panic attacks now and then. The point is - I sometimes get very anxious, especially about some people, and that they can harm me, or treat me badly, cause me physical or mental pain or use me for their purposes.
    Perhaps such panic is simply the beginning of a recognition that one doesn't know or have the skills for how to deal with (potentially) dangerous people; and that lack of such knowledge and skills is in itself a liability. So the fear is perfectly justified and points at things that need to be learned.

I used to be horribly afraid of dogs; and for good reason: many dogs are dangerous, and I was bitten by a dog in the past. At some point, I had the good fortune to see that my not knowing how to handle myself around a dog and that my not knowing how to handle a potentially dangerous dog were serious liabilities. So I've learned some things about this and put them into practice. Since then, I feel significantly calmer around dogs. And I have fewer problems with dogs, too.

Forums Member
    The panic attacks I have experienced are of a somewhat different order. An analogy might be standing in a high wind, worrying that it might get worse. Anxiety. The wind is now a hurricane, taking you off your feet, tumbling you through the air, about to dash you against a cliff face. Panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by binocular View Post
    Perhaps such panic is simply the beginning of a recognition that one doesn't know or have the skills for how to deal with (potentially) dangerous people; and that lack of such knowledge and skills is in itself a liability. So the fear is perfectly justified and points at things that need to be learned.

I used to be horribly afraid of dogs; and for good reason: many dogs are dangerous, and I was bitten by a dog in the past. At some point, I had the good fortune to see that my not knowing how to handle myself around a dog and that my not knowing how to handle a potentially dangerous dog were serious liabilities. So I've learned some things about this and put them into practice. Since then, I feel significantly calmer around dogs. And I have fewer problems with dogs, too.
    I think this is a good answer.

sorry I have not been to this forum in a while.
    hazards of being a mom with a 2 year old

Lord Buddha actually discusses what to do if over excited of which panic sounds like a match.
    Really, it is in one of his suttas
    So there are 7 factors of Enlightenment and three are to be applied when over excited - one is to rouse equanimity (described well in any book on "The Four Immeasurables"); one is to rouse relaxation (shammatha meditation); the last one is to concentrate harder.

Tons of youtubes on Shammatha meditation - that is where I would start.

I personally had to dig myself out my self out of depression - I literally quit my job and went back to my college Zendo until I felt my life was more in order

I think if you take up a regular meditative practice that is shammatha - just relaxing as you follow the breath then it is always there to serve you - you can always connect to your breath at any time. Aloka's post of April 19 pretty much describes that process. But like Jon Kabat-Zinn says "don't wait until you have jumped out of the plane to decide to knit your parachute." have that practice of connecting to the breath always available and serviceable because you have a daily practice.

I hope this is of use - best of luck

Forums Member
    i have panic attacks too, mostly when out in public. i use meditation and grounding techniques to stop them or at least ease them. grounding techniques are like using all your senses around you. i see this, i smells this, i can feel this and so on. i have a serious mental illness and i found that Buddhism and the right medication has helped greatly.

I have some anxiety and I find others walking the path can too because of sensitivity.

Spend more time in meditation. Particularely maybe a "just sitting" routine.

This takes one outside oneself and I think helps big time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 1:24 PM Fri, 3:24 PM Fri, 9:24 PM Sat, 2:54 AM Sat, 5:24 AM Sat, 8:24 AM