Thread: When, How Much, Is There Too Much?

Forums Member

When, How Much, Is There Too Much?

In terms of the practice of meditation, am wondering how much is an appropriate amount for one's daily practice. Is there a best time for meditation? Can one do too much meditation?

My own personal experience is that would like to increase the time spent in meditation, especially mindfulness. Yes, am aware that mindfulness is best brought into the world, but as someone with a limited amount of exposure, am looking for more sitting practice at this point. Currently use an app for a 20 minute session followed by one of my own unguided sessions, then to metta meditation. Takes about an hour or so. The 20 minute app session just isn't quite adequate as it just gets me going and then ends. That is why I pick up with another 20 or so minute session of my own. Then it feels complete. Metta meditation comes easily. Do more than one sitting a day on most days.

Would appreciate guidance on this as well as to hear other esteemed members willing to share about their own practices.

Thank-you for your consideration.

I think being consistent with your meditation is most important. Good luck

Discussing meditation on the internet isn't always easy, because we can sometimes have quite different experiences to each other in our practice. I also think its worth mentioning that we don't have any recognised meditation teachers to advise people here at BWB.

Ideally its best to go to a regular Buddhist meditation class with an experienced teacher. (This is something I did myself in the past and have discussed personal practice with teachers from two different Buddhist traditions.)

If that's not possible, then there's this little book by Ajahn Amaro, (the abbot of Amaravati Monastery UK), "Finding the Missing Peace - A Primer of Buddhist Meditation," which could be helpful:

http://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-book...st-meditation/

We also have some resources (including videos) in a Buddhist Meditation thread in our Study Links:

https://www.buddhismwithoutboundarie...ist-Meditation

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsfa1 View Post
    Currently use an app for a 20 minute session followed by one of my own unguided sessions, then to metta meditation. Takes about an hour or so. The 20 minute app session just isn't quite adequate as it just gets me going and then ends. That is why I pick up with another 20 or so minute session of my own. Then it feels complete. Metta meditation comes easily. Do more than one sitting a day on most days.
    Two one hour sessions seems like the norm for lay people. If you work, another 20 to 30 minutes during your lunchbreak may be useful to wind-down & re-focus.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mcsfa1 View Post
    In terms of the practice of meditation, am wondering how much is an appropriate amount for one's daily practice. Is there a best time for meditation? Can one do too much meditation?

My own personal experience is that would like to increase the time spent in meditation, especially mindfulness. Yes, am aware that mindfulness is best brought into the world, but as someone with a limited amount of exposure, am looking for more sitting practice at this point. Currently use an app for a 20 minute session followed by one of my own unguided sessions, then to metta meditation. Takes about an hour or so. The 20 minute app session just isn't quite adequate as it just gets me going and then ends. That is why I pick up with another 20 or so minute session of my own. Then it feels complete. Metta meditation comes easily. Do more than one sitting a day on most days.

Would appreciate guidance on this as well as to hear other esteemed members willing to share about their own practices.

Thank-you for your consideration.
    As long as you don't have any major obstacles, I think your best guide would be your own experience.

Like justusryans says, in my opinion the important part is consistency.

If you feel like changing routines, remember to give it time to adjust, and try small changes; as I understand that it more or less works with your current routines (?)

When you write "use an app for a 20 minute session" is that a guided meditation ?

I have been using an app, as timer. But my mind seemed to "learn time", as I would be looking at the phone less then a minute before my app/timer rang the end-bell.

My app has the option to have an "open-end" meditation, where it starts with a bell, and keeps on, until I end my meditation and press stop. Another option, to give ease of mind, is to start a session that is very much longer then what you aim for, and stop when you had enough. This would give you a safe-guard, not to meditate "forever", and you can let go of worrying on stopping in time.

One suggestion could be, to combine "20 minute app session" and your "own unguided session". If your App acts as a timer, why not combine them to just one 40 minutes sitting ?

_/\_
    Doshin

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Discussing meditation on the internet isn't always easy, because we can sometimes have quite different experiences to each other in our practice. I also think its worth mentioning that we don't have any recognised meditation teachers to advise people here at BWB.

Ideally its best to go to a regular Buddhist meditation class with an experienced teacher. (This is something I did myself in the past and have discussed personal practice with teachers from two different Buddhist traditions.)
    I absolutely agree. But it is not everyone that is blessed with a suitable sangha nearby.

Yes you could read books, listen to dhamma talks, and what not. But sometimes you have a question that is hard to find an answer to, and it can be very beneficial to seek advice/comments in a sangha. Often you just need a small push, to find the answer yourself.

I use BWB as a virtual sangha, that is nearby anyone (with online access, that is). I benefit from relating to others questions, to formulate my comments and reading others comments. In short it is part of my practice to follow the posts on this forum.

_/\_
    Doshin

Forums Member
    i use an app, and with my mental illness it is hard for me to sit still. but i just started meditating so if i can meditate for longer than 10 minutes than i'm doing a good job i hope.

Quote Originally Posted by cbbrown View Post
    i use an app, and with my mental illness it is hard for me to sit still. but i just started meditating so if i can meditate for longer than 10 minutes than i'm doing a good job i hope.
    When reading your post, two things springs to my mind.
    - it is not a competition
    - you can learn something from any meditation, i.e. there is no such thing as a "bad" meditation

If 10 minutes works for you, then do 10 minutes at a time. If at some point in the future you feel like changing, try something like:
    - next time do 1 minute longer, if it doesn't work go back to what works
    - try doing one more session a day, if it doesn't work go back to your normal schedule

Going back to a known schedule, is not a failure, but a lesson learnt that you wouldn't have learned if you didn't try it. Maybe it just wasn't the time for that, try something else, or try it again in the future.

Small steps, be open for making "mistakes" and then go back one step. But be aware of training a foundation that works (for you). Hope you get the drift ?

_/\_
    Doshin

Forums Member
    thank you Doshin, i know its not a competition thank you for writing that though. i meditate twice a day, in the morning before my day begins and and at night when my day ends. i listen to this app and my favorite song is the one called the old bell. it calms me and helps me meditate. i find 10 minutes works for me. a couples of times i would recite the Vow of Refuge

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 3:37 PM Mon, 5:37 PM Mon, 11:37 PM Tue, 4:07 AM Tue, 6:37 AM Tue, 8:37 AM