Thread: Explain Guan Yin and the "Dragon"

Forums Member

Explain Guan Yin and the "Dragon"

If a moderator feels this is better suited under different subforum, please do

I am wondering now about Bodhisattva Guan Shi Yin and why she rides a dragon. There are many images or her riding a dragon, one I posted being but one example. But who/what is the dragon? Is there a story behind it? I've heard the dragon is a symbol of wisdom and purity, others have suggested the dragon represents a wrathful force subdued by Guan Yin underfoot, but really what's the case here? Is it merely symbolic or is the dragon a literal entity (sentient or otherwise)? Any information would be appreciated (not modern "New Age"). I was told by somebody who looked on Wikipedia suggest that it symbolizes control over the sea, as Guan Yin is protector of people out at sea. I can accept that, but the word "Wikipedia" makes the scholar in my mind cringe sometimes.

So "Dragon," a monster, a benevolent entity, symbol...what's the case here?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattidharma View Post
    So "Dragon," a monster, a benevolent entity, symbol...what's the case here?
    As I'm not an expert on imaginary creatures and deities, I asked Mr Google and he came up with this:

The dragon, an ancient symbol for high spirituality, wisdom, strength, and divine powers of transformation, is a common motif found in combination with the Goddess of Mercy.

http://www.purifymind.com/QuanYin.htm

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 11:59 AM Sat, 1:59 PM Sat, 7:59 PM Sun, 12:29 AM Sun, 2:59 AM Sun, 4:59 AM