Thread: Assertiveness/self improvement and Buddhism

Forums Member

Assertiveness/self improvement and Buddhism

Newbie here 😎. I'm having a tough time reconciling Buddhism and assertiveness. I heard one teacher say that if, for example, you see a child about to get hit by a car, it makes sense that acting in the child's safety trumps Buddhist notions of "letting go." Few would argue against that.

But what about a situation in which you're being treated unfairly by a boss, loved one or, for that matter, a stranger, which call for assertiveness so you simply don't get victimized?

How about the idea of self-improvement—just for good health or the desire to have the greatest positive impact while you're on the path? Or working hard to maximize your talents—what's wrong with all that? I'd imagine some buddhists would say that those are forms of clinging/suffering or fighting impermanence. Thoughts?

Hello and welcome, surfinboy.

Quote Originally Posted by surfinboy
    I heard one teacher saythat if, for example, you see a child about to get hit by a car, it makes sense that acting in the child's safety trumps Buddhist notions of "letting go." Few would argue against that.
    I usually think of "letting go" as letting go of obsessive thinking patterns and keeping the mind in the present. It doesn't mean letting go of loving kindness and compassion towards other sentient beings.

But what about a situation in which you're being treated unfairly by a boss, loved one or, for that matter, a stranger, which call for assertiveness so you simply don't get victimized?
    Its possible to state one's own position clearly and calmly, without becoming emotional or verbally aggressive. If someone else is being unkind, unreasonable, or over-emotional, one doesn't need to respond in the same way.

How about the idea of self-improvement—just for good health or the desire to have the greatest positive impact while you're on the path? Or working hard to maximize your talents—what's wrong with all that?
    I don't think that there's anything wrong in aiming for personal improvement, as long as there is flexibility, good will towards others, and an awareness of impermanence.

Quote Originally Posted by surfinboy View Post
    The Buddhist path is comprised of three factors or trainings: (i) ethics; (ii) concentration; & (iii) insight leading to letting go.

Your relationships with others are guided by ethics, which guides how you treat others and also how you expect to be treated.

How about the idea of self-improvement—just for good health or the desire to have the greatest positive impact while you're on the path? Or working hard to maximise your talents—what's wrong with all that? I'd imagine some Buddhists would say that those are forms of clinging/suffering or fighting impermanence. Thoughts?
    Concentration and meditation enable the thinking mind to rest, to stop the habitual thoughts on the future and the past, to let go in this moment. The mind is just like the body in that it needs rest, just learning these methods is a very positive move towards self-development. Mindfulness or watching our thoughts aids towards better decision making, hopefully improving our intentions, therefore aiding others with whom we interact.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:26 PM Sun, 7:26 PM Mon, 1:26 AM Mon, 5:56 AM Mon, 8:26 AM Mon, 11:26 AM