Thread: Ten portions of fruit and veg?

Ten portions of fruit and veg?

I've noticed this idea in the UK press recently about eating 10 portions of fruit and vegetables a day and even though I'm a vegetarian, I think it seems rather excessive (and expensive).

Forget five a day, eat 10 portions of fruit and veg to cut risk of early death

Five portions of fruit and veg a day is good for you, but 10 is much better and could prevent up to 7.8 million premature deaths worldwide every year, say scientists.

Article Continued Here

Any thoughts?

Have they weighed up the negative effects of health anxiety?

I don't deny that longevity is a good thing, but there seems to be a desperate attachment to the idea that we should be able to fix aging and death. It isn't a gentle desire to do what we can with medical research, it's a vice-like grip on any possibility at all to always be young and healthy.

The problem is that mental health is suffering. More and more people are depressed and anxious, and not only does that make their lives unhappy, but it makes them less likely to do the things they need to do to keep healthy anyway.

Maybe the advice is sound, maybe not, but I doubt it's beneficial. Those who find 5 a day very easy are likely to be the only ones working toward 10, and many othrrs will no doubt simply feel overwhelmed and uneasily resigned to a "premature death" (and they don't even say if that's by 5 minutes, weeks, years...).

It seems a little excessive for me. I'm still working on 5 a day. Some days I'm successful... some days not so much.

Forums Member
    Recently have taken a break from a year long diet of fruit and milk. Cannot begin to say how much healthier I felt. More energy, increased focus, peaceful, balanced. Will return, with the addition of salad, next month. Had never seen this article or mention of this lifestyle before, simply saw that meditators of the past subscribed to it with great success, sans salad.

Forums Member
    I think a lot depends on the quality of the fruits and vegetables.

I help maintain a garden and an orchard, we grow fruits and vegetables the old-fashioned way with no commercial pesticides, only organic fertilizers, under the sun and with the soil covered only with hay, not with plastic.
    In comparison to ours, commercial fruits and vegetables taste like fluff and are far less satiating. It's no wonder one would typically have to eat more of them to get the same effect.

Forums Member
    Unfortunately, the only fruit I can buy where I live is poor quality. Even tried organic suppliers, but turned out to be just as poor. Tried looking for a smallholding too, to grow my own as far as possible, but far out of my price range.

Forums Member
    Good food is difficult to produce and difficult to find and be able to buy enough of it.
    Some people beat themselves up for not liking to eat fruits and vegetables, or for not eating enough of them. If they have access only to commercial fruits and vegetables that aren't exactly top quality -- they really aren't to blame for not liking them or for not wanting to eat more of them. (And by top quality I mean the sort of fruits and vegetables that are grown the old-fashioned way, in organic circumstances and with a lot of attention from the gardener.)
    Although, on the whole, it's probably better to eat even commercial fruits and vegetables, as opposed to none.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 5:19 AM Thu, 7:19 AM Thu, 1:19 PM Thu, 5:49 PM Thu, 8:19 PM Thu, 10:19 PM