Thread: Meditation Situation

Meditation Situation

Just starting,at my age and after a hard days work the lotus position is very hard on my back. The pain is a distraction to me and hinders my meditation. I'm thinking to do the lotus position on weekends or when my back is not hurting as much. I will not give up on meditation i would like to try it lying down when I have this interruption of pain in my mind. I'm not one to fall asleep unless I'm in bed. Any comments or help would be great, even if I could sit with my back against the wall would be better than the lotus position for me.

You don't need to try and sit in a lotus position if your body isn't flexible, Eric. If you have back problems you can sit in a straight-backed chair.

There are some links to meditation resources mentioned in this previous topic which might be helpful for you:

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...ght=meditation

Here are the resources again (there's a section about posture in the booklet):

http://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/...jahn_Amaro.pdf

and here's the meditation thread in our Study Links section:

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...ist-Meditation

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    You'll make no progress with meditation if you are uncomfortable. The lotus position doesn't make a good starting point, and the position itself doesn't have any special effect.

For a Westerner in middle age, a good place to begin is sitting on a cushion on the floor with simple crossed legs, and a straight back.

Personally, I have found a comfortable position with my hips higher than my knees, and my ankles on the ground. The weight is taken on three points: the behind and two legs. In that position, my back straightens itself. In order to remain comfortable, my ankles are on a thin cushion too. With a little experimentation, you should be able to find a position that works well for you.

If you have back pain at present, give yourself a week to recover without straining at all. A good week to try meditating while seated on a chair.

I hope it goes well.

Woodscooter.

Thankyou both, I did do some searching on the internet and found a site that shows about 5 different positions.

I suggest two methods:

1. A kneeling chair.

2. A kneeling bench.

With the second, you might consider a cushion (memory foam sitting bench cushions can be found), as well as putting a pillow under the knees & ankles (I prefer a buckwheat pillow for this).

wow,the kneeling chair looks awesome, i'll see if amazon sells them,thankyou.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 3:02 AM Fri, 5:02 AM Fri, 11:02 AM Fri, 3:32 PM Fri, 6:02 PM Fri, 8:02 PM