Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do we eradicate emotions or develop love and compassion?

Emotions are valuable tools if they are neutrally observed without getting hypnotized by them. We don't have to believe every emo energy that rises up, and we benefit if we view these movements of energy as indicators of the quality of our relationship with the appearances, circumstances, and patterns of existence.

Compassion arises naturally in direct proportion to the degree of clarity we've cultivated re: the nature of existence - and when we begin to see how trapped living beings are in non-beneficial patterns of unaware agitated reactivity to the appearances, circumstances, and patterns of existence.

Contentment and joy (bliss) arise naturally in direct proportion to the degree of clarity and compassion we've cultivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_trike #11:
    Contentment and joy (bliss) arise naturally in direct proportion to the degree of clarity and compassion we've cultivated.
    Beautifull and true...,

Thanks Pink

andyrobyn
    My teacher has explained to me that in Tibetan there is a word which describes emotion - " zagche " - which means "contaminated" or "stained," which acknowledges our emotions being permeated by confusion or duality.

Our emotions do not have some kind of inherently real existence - they are impermanent and dualistic, in spite of how enduring and real they may appear to us at certain moments

This means that everything we create through our emotions is, in the end, completely futile and ultimately painful, which is why making decisions based on how we feel is so fraught.

Through meditation we can to loosen the grip that our emotions have on us, and the obsessions we have because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to andyrobyn:
    from post #13
    Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to srivijaya:
    from post #7
    Thanks Kris,

I have been for some years on this... I have no rush to "do more" about this, because, in my case, this is not so easy.

Namaste

Keep watching as the storm clouds pass.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Daozen:
    from post #16

andyrobyn
    From THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS - on RATIONALITY AND EMOTION

Teachings by Ajahn Sumedho ... online here URL

" Perfect emotional maturity comprises Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration. It is present when one is not caught in fluctuations and vicissitudes, where one has balance and clarity and is able to be receptive and sensitive. "

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka-D #6:

So we practice loving kindness and compassion and develop awareness, equanimity and wisdom. There is no need to consciously try to eradicate or suppress emotions, with correct practice they lessen gradually.
    Very true Aloka.

Gail

Refining our perception of existence has the effect of refining our emotions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 10:27 AM Sun, 12:27 PM Sun, 6:27 PM Sun, 10:57 PM Mon, 1:27 AM Mon, 4:27 AM