Thread: Inpermanence success

Inpermanence success

Hello board.

Have you ever noticed when you discuss the Triple Gems most people tend to say Impermanence was more appealing to them than the other gems ?

I have often met people relating difficult times in their lives when the teaching of everything been impermanent helped them keep going much more than the teaching of Interdependence or Nirvana.

Thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFaky
    Have you ever noticed when you discuss the Triple Gems most people tend to say Impermanence was more appealing to them than the other gems ?
    Hi Blue Faky,

I wonder if you might be getting muddled, " The Triple Gem" is Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.

"The Three Marks of Existence" or "Three Characteristics" are impermanence (anicca), unsatisfactoriness (dukkha) and not-self (anatta)

http://www.buddhanet.net/budasa6.htm

with kind wishes,

Aloka

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFaky View Post
    Hello board.

I have often met people relating difficult times in their lives when the teaching of everything been impermanent helped them keep going much more than the teaching of Interdependence or Nirvana.

Thoughts ?
    Hi Bluefaky

I always look at all the teachings as well integrated, Thanissaro Bhikkhu described it like a hologram, all the parts making a whole picture, each part has the seeds of the other in them.

Impermanence is a foundational teaching, it is also easily seen and understood, once understood it does change many people's perspective, it is a key teaching for equanimity

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Hi Blue Faky,

I wonder if you might be getting muddled, " The Triple Gem" is Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.

"The Three Marks of Existence" or "Three Characteristics" are impermanence (anicca), unsatisfactoriness (dukkha) and not-self (anatta)

http://www.buddhanet.net/budasa6.htm

with kind wishes,

Aloka
    The Three Characteristics ?

You are probably right, however in my Thich Nath Hanh French version of 'The Heart Of The Buddha's Teaching' book, there is the saying 'Les Trois Sceaux Du Dharma' as Impermanence, Interdependance and Nirvana.

Probably just a slight cultural difference between different schools. But the meaning remains the same.

I gave it a good deal of thoughts before I posted this since I remember you been a little bit irritated when I disagreed about Dharma definitions, but silence is no justice either. I Hope you are not upset.

Quote Originally Posted by McKmike View Post

Impermanence is a foundational teaching, it is also easily seen and understood

Thank you so much. It probably answers the whole question

in my Thich Nath Hanh French version of 'The Heart Of The Buddha's Teaching' book, there is the saying 'Les Trois Sceaux Du Dharma' as Impermanence, Interdependance and Nirvana.
    The three/four dharma seals are a later sort of approach to the three characteristics: anicca, dukkha, anatta.

Nibbana isn't part of this. Interdependence isn't part of this. But, TNH has written:

All authentic practices of the Buddha carry within them three essential teachings called the Dharma Seals. These three teachings of the Buddha are: impermanence, no self and nirvana.
    I'm not sure where he's getting this idea. An idea of four dharma seals also exists, with nibbana added as the fourth seal, and so I think TNH's use of three seals is the four seals minus dukkha.

But, dukkha exists, and this is the First Truth. So, TNH's approach boggles my mind - but, it's Mahayana, and so not actually the historical Buddha's Teaching.

Probably just a slight cultural difference...
    Not really; Mahayana is a hugely different set of religions, with goals & methods that the historical Buddha never taught. Mahayana is based on the historical Buddha in the same way that Mormonism is based on the historical Jesus - which is to say, not at all.

---

EDIT: http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-...3.134-piya.pdf

Here is a detailed examination of the three characteristics as found in the early texts.
    Last edited by daverupa; 14 Jul 16 at 16:32.

I gave it a good deal of thoughts before I posted this since I remember you been a little bit irritated when I disagreed about Dharma definitions, but silence is no justice either. I Hope you are not upset.
    I don't recall feeling any irritation when communicating with you in the past, Blue Faky.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFaky
    I Hope you are not upset
    No, I'm definately not upset.... and thank you for your concern. Its nice to see you posting here again.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 2:07 PM Tue, 4:07 PM Tue, 10:07 PM Wed, 2:37 AM Wed, 5:07 AM Wed, 7:07 AM