Thread: Which teaching has been most helpful?

Which teaching has been most helpful?

Dear friends,

Which Buddhist teaching do you think has been most helpful to you - and why?

It's an odd question to answer...

In my case, it isn't one or another teaching that's been helpful in this or that way - that kind of thing is easy to find, and happens everywhere. So many people, so many preferences, so many contexts... a lot of random stuff is bound to work here and there. I've known committed Wiccans, Xians, all sorts of folk, and they would all cite this or that teaching in a case like this.

When I was early on looking for something worth sticking around for, back in the day, these sorts of answers ...well, were thoroughly inadequate. Even most of Buddhism is this way, unfortunately, despite sitting on the treasure they are.

So what stands out to me with the Dhamma is the fact that it doesn't require make-believe, which was (& is) essential for a modern way of life, now but even moreso going forward. This isn't a teaching, per se, but the overall 'shape' of the thing: it differs from everything else on offer, standing up to critical scrutiny while able to jettison whole swaths of cultural accretions - that's an attractive feature in a life philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by daverupa
    It's an odd question to answer...
    Perhaps I should have said "Which aspect of the Dhamma has been most helpful ? "

I like the Four Noble Truths. They make me take responsibility for everything I do. I also like the Eight Fold Path because it shows me how to take responsibility for myself.

Forums Member
    Hi Aloka

I find the teachings around dependant origination the most useful Dhamma.

These teachings show the process of reality, the fact that everything changes and evolves in a lawful way, depending on what went before this arises, is for me the key to Buddha's teachings.

Dukkha arises because we build an illusion around permanence, we try to hold on to what we consider me and mine and grasping hard we get rope burn.

This is where our reactivity comes from, the path for me is recognising the impermanent nature of reality, realising it is a process that constantly moved by the interactions of life and trying to learn to surf the resulting wave.

As Neyya says the Four Noble Truths are the surfing manual

The Khanda doctrine. It taught me what to focus about during meditation; what is a human being; how we function; how a mental process is about and the clues to understand suffering, its origin and its ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    "Which aspect of the Dhamma has been most helpful ?"
    Meditation. I think it has helped me to keep my mind more still and peaceful in daily life.

Meditation is everything! Just find a good meditation technique and stick to it. Taking a retreat does wonders.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 11:00 PM Sun, 1:00 AM Sun, 7:00 AM Sun, 11:30 AM Sun, 2:00 PM Sun, 4:00 PM