Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Not understanding or not able to understand

I have always had an issue with the wording of "loving myself'. I accept myself with all my faults and in this I am able to see the good aspects.

I dont understand it either shep83. I accept myself as is but "to love oneself" is a bit much for me to grasp.

Thanks for the reply neyya its good to know I'm not alone in this..

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shep83 View Post
    I read that during meditation its important to wish loving feelings upon yourself, I know what it Is to love but have always been kinda down on myself and struggle with the idea of loving myself anyone else have this problem?
    Hi shep83

As Neyya points out in the first post, there are concepts in Buddhism that people find hard to grasp, I think it is worth looking at the Buddhist path as a practice to gain a skill.

The skill is in training your mind through the practices, to get understanding of your mind and reality (Dhammas), in order to free the mind.

The faith in Buddhism is to undertake the training to see if it works for you, it is guidance, you must use your own discernment in following the path.

So there are are a number of concepts that seem odd at first, there are also a number that seem straight forward at first, that change and mature as your understanding grows, I know this has been the case for me

So the idea of loving yourself, is quite difficult for many western people, culturally it is not a good fit, but if you begin the practice of Metta you will begin to see for yourself what it means and how beneficial it can be

A good podcast is http://www.amaravati.org/audio/how-d...fit-the-world/

Quote Originally Posted by shep83 View Post
    I read that during meditation its important to wish loving feelings upon yourself, I know what it Is to love but have always been kinda down on myself and struggle with the idea of loving myself anyone else have this problem?
    It depends on the type of meditation. I would personally look more at cultivating a certain way of being mindful of what arises. In my own life, at times I experience memories of times when I acted in a way that gives rise to feelings or distress or sadness, or thoughts that contain critical ideas. When they arise, I practice joining with them in compassionate and kind mindfulness, as I would if comforting a friend who came to me with these feelings and thoughts seeking comfort.

I make no effort to force them to change, accepting them as they are, knowing that the memories, emotions and thoughts are no more myself when experienced as internal as when expressed by someone I meet, and that they will transform of their own accord in time. I do not know if this approach will help you, but I have found it to be helpful in my own meditations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 11:01 AM Sat, 1:01 PM Sat, 7:01 PM Sat, 11:31 PM Sun, 2:01 AM Sun, 4:01 AM