Thread: Practising with more than one tradition

Practising with more than one tradition

Is it possible to practice with more than one Buddhist tradition at the same time?

What's your opinion?

If it's not, then I've been doing it wrong for a long time

I tend to lean towards the Thai forest tradition, but the only local center is Zen. It doesn't bother me too much, as Dhamma is Dhamma. The truths in the teachings are the same to me. The only difference is the format in which they are presented, and any cultural additions, both of which can be read through to the truths in the teachings. I've read warnings in the past that discourage 'skipping around' from tradition to tradition, but I take a looser view on this. On the forums, where things can be sort of slow and I want to absorb as much as possible, I certainly browse every forum. I think it is good to at least take a curious look outside of what we usually practice to see what others are doing who are practicing differently from us- who knows what else we could learn? But I certainly understand if someone prefers to stay within their tradition. Someone may wish to stay within their tradition and someone else may wish to absorb from different sources. It all boils down to what works best for the person so that they may successfully incorporate the Dhamma into their lives.

It's possible, sure - but can it happen without contradiction? No.

However: Do people care about that sort of contradiction? Not usually; people can practice any number of traditions any number of ways, but instead of sustaining an accurate consistency vis-a-vis the Dhamma, they seem to prefer ...other avenues of spirituality.

I remember when I was a Zenner and I was practicing Zazen. At that time I started to explore the teachings of Buddha and I found the Anapanasati. Two different traditions, two different meditation systems. I had to decide and I decided Anapanasati. It is difficult to have two traditions when it comes to meditation.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 11:05 PM Sun, 1:05 AM Sun, 7:05 AM Sun, 11:35 AM Sun, 2:05 PM Sun, 4:05 PM