Share on Facebook

Thread: A Share in Clear Knowing

A Share in Clear Knowing

This is a nice little sutta which is easy to understand:

aṅguttara nikāya

2. book of the twos

31. A Share in Clear Knowing

“These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana).

“When tranquillity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Passion is abandoned.

“When insight is developed, what purpose does it serve? Discernment is developed. And when discernment is developed, what purpose does it serve? Ignorance is abandoned.

“Defiled by passion, the mind is not released. Defiled by ignorance, discernment does not develop. Thus from the fading of passion is there awareness-release. From the fading of ignorance is there discernment-release.”

https://suttacentral.net/en/an2.31

Forums Member
    There it is.
    *All of *IT really.
    Makes me shiver at times to realize just how much fear needed to be overcome to make even the start of understanding, of realization and actualization in my own life.

Kent- what an important statement. It is very true (to me). I had to overcome some very entrenched views or thoughts. Maybe we all did. It does take a lot of courage to start on this path.
    Thanks for saying it.
    Neyya

Thank you for sharing the sutta with us, Aloka.

...and with tranquillity comes insight or with insight comes tranquillity; and with the abandonment of ignorance comes the cessation of volitional formations; with the cessation of volitional formations the cessation of consciousness...[ ] and such is the cessation of the whole mass of suffering.
    Last edited by Esho; 17 Mar 16 at 14:09.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:23 PM Sun, 7:23 PM Mon, 1:23 AM Mon, 5:53 AM Mon, 8:23 AM Mon, 11:23 AM