Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Buddha and Omniscience

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I have no need "to glorify and deify" Gotama Buddha.
    He was a human, like you and me. In spite of that human condition, he achieved the highest wisdom. That’s why I trust him.
    With metta,

Cyril
    Hi Cyril
    It's why I am a Buddhist, that he was human like us. If he can do it, so can we.

I vaguely remember reading either a sutta or in some commentary that omniscience was meant in the sense that if he wanted to know about something, he could get himself to know all there was to know about a topic, not just factual information but true reality of that topic in the grand scheme of things. It didn’t mean that he collected all possible knowledge within him at all times, which is impossible because it exceeds the amount of information that can be stored in an bio-electrochemical system like the brain. He was human and spent his whole life telling people to try and understand what that implies: birth, sickness, old age and death and the difference between pain and suffering.

Personally, I agree with these comments from Bhikkhu Analayo in the article #1:

The more the Buddha becomes divine, the less human he becomes and thereby the less an example to be emulated by other humans.

From a psychological perspective, the tendency to glorify and deify the Buddha could be an expression of “dependency needs”. Such psychological dependency needs arise out of the deep-rooted wish of human beings for someone powerful and reliable.

Also, it's worth noting that in sutta MN90, the Buddha said to King Pasenadi:

"Great king, I recall having said, 'It is not possible that a brahman or contemplative could know everything and see everything all at once.'"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 7:55 AM Mon, 9:55 AM Mon, 3:55 PM Mon, 8:25 PM Mon, 10:55 PM Tue, 12:55 AM