Share on Facebook

Thread: "Dalai Lama’s ‘Sexist’ Snafu?"

"Dalai Lama’s ‘Sexist’ Snafu?"

I came across this article about the Dalai Lama & wondered if anyone had any comments:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/america...ist-snafu.html

Forums Member
    The writer misinterpreted his comment. He seems to be stating that in the minds of many men the only way a woman deserves any attention is if she's sexually attractive. The Dalai Lama doesn't view women in this way, but he notices a lot of objectification of women in modern society. So, his comments are the opposite of a certain kind of sexism.

The writer uses her criticism of the Dalai Lama's statements as a way to point out how unfair it is, in her mind, that the Dalai Lama gets a pass and yet the Catholic church gets condemned for similar statements, in her mind. She implies that it's politically correct to criticize the Catholic Church, but it's politically incorrect to criticize the Dalai Lama. She thinks that's unfair.

Regarding his comments about the unnaturalness of homosexuality. That's a common opinion among many people who were raised in traditional societies. Just because he made that statement doesn't mean that he advocates fewer rights for homosexuals. That might seem like a contradiction, but I don't think it is. It reminds me of the Christian saying, "Love the sinner. Hate the sin".

The fact that he's grown so much over the course of his life, the fact that he has thrown away so many traditional assumptions in light of new evidence about how reality is and what people truly need... that means more to me than that he be correct right from the start. I would rather he be a model for how to learn than a model for how to already know everything. More people need models for being willing to honestly evaluate their beliefs without getting tangled up in their own ego.

So yeah. I absolutely think he has sincerely stated and believed all kinds of awful stuff throughout his life. I also think that every time someone points out to him that he's making an assumption that is untrue or destructive, he takes them seriously. We're talking about someone who was brought to tears when he was told how excluded and marginalized nuns feel in many Buddhist traditions. Nobody automatically knows everything, but at least the Dalai Lama listens to people whose lives have been different from his and most importantly he believes them when they describe their lives.

He's been wrong about a lot, but I absolutely agree that here he's making a point about people's difficulty taking women seriously rather than stating with his Lama hat on that only white conventionally attractive women matter or are worthy of being the first female Dalai Lama. I don't have deep reserves of charity for men who've historically been dismissive of women, but he does well. If we keep checking him, he'll keep listening and learning. That's awesome enough for me.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 4:34 PM Mon, 6:34 PM Tue, 12:34 AM Tue, 6:04 AM Tue, 8:34 AM Tue, 11:34 AM