Thread: Namaste from Tasmania, AUS

Forums Member

Namaste from Tasmania, AUS

Namaste! 20-year-old university student from Australia, here! Very new to Buddhism.

I've had, emotionally, a very tough year and eventually came to the conclusion that I could not live like that. Maybe my reasons for turning to Buddhism are selfish, but I want to be happy, and I want to let go of the attachments in my life that are causing me to live my life for other people.

I've found it difficult to know where to start, but the main site I've found is Buddhanet.net, and I've also started reading Happiness by Matthieu Ricard. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

I have looked around for Buddhist groups in my area, however the only ones I have found require a 'subscription', or a fee for each attendance. Call me a prude, but I don't believe I should be required to pay money to practice my beliefs, nor am I able to afford it. I have no issue with donations, but these are fees.

So far, I've been absolutely rubbish at meditating, but I'll certainly work on it.

But, I think that's all from me for now. Time for more research!

Hi LoveandLost,

Thank you for introducing yourself and welcome to BWB!

This "Outline of Buddhism" might be useful :

http://santacittarama.altervista.org/e_buddhism.htm

and you can find other resources pinned at the beginning of the topics in our Discovering Buddha's Teachings forum as well as in Study Links at the bottom of the main forums page.

With kind wishes,

Aloka

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Hi LoveandLost

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.

Hi there,

It's very welcoming here. look forward to seeing you around.

Forums Member
    Thank you all

Forums Member
    Maybe my reasons for turning to Buddhism are selfish
    In the world, when we help ourselves we can be selfish. In Buddhism, when we help ourselves we help others.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 9:59 AM Fri, 11:59 AM Fri, 5:59 PM Fri, 10:29 PM Sat, 12:59 AM Sat, 3:59 AM