Thread: Seeing the world without mental bias

Seeing the world without mental bias

I was looking at this quote from a book by Steve Hagen (Soto Zen teacher) and I wondered if anyone had any comments about it, or reflections relating to their practice

“If it's Truth we're after, we'll find that we cannot start with any assumptions or concepts whatsoever. Instead, we must approach the world with bare, naked attention, seeing it without any mental bias - without concepts, beliefs, preconceptions, presumptions, or expectations.

― Steve Hagen, 'Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond'

I just read the first chapter of this book (it ends with that quote) I think this is one of the most important points in made by Zen teachers. This has become a cornerstone in my practice. Recently I've realized that most of my beliefs aren't founded on a very strong foundation and that (as he says in this chapter) they confuse Reality for me rather then help me understand it better.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post

I was looking at this quote from a book by Steve Hagen (Soto Zen teacher) and I wondered if anyone had any comments about it, or reflections relating to their practice

One of the things that attracted me to Zen was the absence of any belief system, in fact we are taught that if we develop a belief to "drop it immediately". This isn't as easy as it sounds as we are indoctrinated with "beliefs" from birth. However one of the advantages of advancing age is that we can see our previous beliefs , desires, ambitions etc. as being mere illusions .
    One of the teachings I receive time and time again from the people I work with who are terminally ill is,"John the only thing that matters is Love. The rest is crap". Wise words indeed. When I look back at the things I once held to be important such as ambition, money, desire etc, I am profoundly grateful to have discovered Buddhism which has helped me to put things into perspective. Namaste Jonno

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 8:55 PM Wed, 10:55 PM Thu, 4:55 AM Thu, 9:25 AM Thu, 11:55 AM Thu, 1:55 PM