Thread: Temper

Temper

A Zen story:

A Zen student came to Bankei and complained: 'Master, I have an ungovernable temper. How can I cure it?'
    'You have something very strange, replied Bankei. 'Let me see what you have.'
    'Just now I cannot show it to you,' replied the other.
    'When can you show it to me?' asked Bankei.
    'It arises unexpectedly,' replay the student.
    'Then,' concluded Bankei, 'it must not be your own true nature. If it were, it could show it to me at any time. When you were born you did not have it, and your parents did not give it to you. Think that over.'

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Paul Reps
    Any comments?

Because the nature of a person can change so much over the course of a lifetime, and because emotions are changeable and often unpredictable, it makes sense not to associate emotional states with any sense of self, but to consider them as natural phenomena that are caused and conditioned by factors that are not part of self. It is often noticed, for example, that people entering puberty can suddenly become far more moody than before. If we do not consider their moodiness part of their self, that is fair, since they are likely to feel that they themselves do not know where the moodiness came from or how to control it.

I have no comment because the koan really speaks for itself, but I will say thank you Esho for posting it.
    I highly recommend Zen Flesh, Zen Bones it's a great book.

Gassho
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    I have no comment because the koan really speaks for itself, but I will say thank you Esho for posting it.
    I highly recommend Zen Flesh, Zen Bones it's a great book.

Gassho
    Gary
    You are welcome dear Gary. In deed 'Zen Flesh, Zen Bones' is a great source for learning and practice of Zen because it has no comments added so it leaves you to process things by your own. I like to read it from time to time and it helps to quite and still the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmelt View Post
    Because the nature of a person can change so much over the course of a lifetime, and because emotions are changeable and often unpredictable, it makes sense not to associate emotional states with any sense of self, but to consider them as natural phenomena that are caused and conditioned by factors that are not part of self. It is often noticed, for example, that people entering puberty can suddenly become far more moody than before. If we do not consider their moodiness part of their self, that is fair, since they are likely to feel that they themselves do not know where the moodiness came from or how to control it.
    Yes. Also a bad temper is empty of a real self as well as impermanent.

Thanks for that Esho, its been a while since I read Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. I gave a copy to another patient while I was in hospital but I managed to pick up another copy at this really great bookshop in Derbyshire.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 10:11 AM Sun, 12:11 PM Sun, 6:11 PM Sun, 10:41 PM Mon, 1:11 AM Mon, 4:11 AM