Thread: Coping with Bitterness

Forums Member

Coping with Bitterness

Hi Everyone :)

I am currently living with my in-laws due to financial stresses.... Though I sincerely appreciate their hospitality at this time of need, I find it extremely difficult to live with my partner's mother. I'm not sure of her whole life story, but her bitterness towards every action that I take is leaving me mentally drained to the point where I am becoming physically sick and vent anger towards my partner. I find it a difficult topic to discuss with my partner (as you could imagine).

From a Buddhist point of view, please shed some light on this situation... How can I keep a calm and clear mind amongst such bitterness?

Kind regards,

Lotus

I'm not sure of her whole life story, but her bitterness towards every action that I take is leaving me mentally drained to the point where I am becoming physically sick and vent anger towards my partner
    Hi Lotus,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Maybe you could try to be more patient with your mother in law. It might be hard for her to adapt to having an adult son and his wife living with her, even though she has been very generous in giving you both accomodation. If you are gentle and kind with her and don't react towards what you feel is bitterness, it may become easier to live together under the same roof and develop genuine friendship.

Perhaps doing a short session of Metta practice every day might help you to relax more. This is a 5 minute video instruction below. You might also like to read 'Universal loving kindness' from Ajahn Sumedho.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Aj...g_Kindness.htm

I hope things improve for you.

With kind wishes,

Aloka

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 6:32 AM Thu, 8:32 AM Thu, 2:32 PM Thu, 8:02 PM Thu, 10:32 PM Fri, 1:32 AM