Thread: Buddhist humanism

Buddhist humanism

Just goes to show how universal the truths of Buddhism are.... president Obamas speech was dripping with them without even being Buddhist

Hi John,

Could you be a little more more specific please, I haven't listened to any of President Obama's speeches recently. Which one are you refering to ?

with kind regards,

Aloka

It was the one he gave today at the ceremony to commemorate the death of Nelson Mandela..... Sorry I'm plugged into media... It has been all over the news.
    Worth listening to I think. He talked about how Mandela has inspired him to be a 'better man' and how we should learn from his life.... I know it's simple stuff but it is profound too, picking up on the principles of us all having this potential for enormous humanity ( kinda like Buddhahood I believe) and the importance of striving toward that potential.... Other things I think were in there like mutual respect, compassion and also humility. Anyway, I'm sure it caused people to reflect on life, how precious it is and what they do with it, even if only for a minute or two. I know Obama ain't no Saint but we all have something important to offer don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by John Marder View Post
    It has been all over the news.
    Worth listening to I think. He talked about how Mandela has inspired him to be a 'better man' and how we should learn from his life....
    Thats good - I would have expected President Obama to have given an inspiring speech about him. Nelson Mandela has been a huge inspiration and much loved by people all around the world.

I posted a link in our Tea Room about him on Sunday 8th December... "Nelson Mandela, in his own words"

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...-his-own-words

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 10:32 AM Thu, 11:32 AM Thu, 5:32 PM Thu, 11:02 PM Fri, 1:32 AM Fri, 4:32 AM